Winners and New Champions: Shirt Pleat (DLCC)
Oh, we've had protests before, and costumes, and chants and merriment, but this year's Netroots Nation Chaiman's Pub Quiz featured two elements we've never seen before, and which I will strive to bring back (1) singing, and (2) live tiebreaker questions.

On the first, see, I'm a showtunes fan. My daughters are too. And there's nothing quite like a good singalong. When in Motown, one has to show some respect to the history, which led to the second round of questions here, for which Paul Hogarth was quite generous in leading the room in singing the answers, as well as a 7 song afterparty thereafter.

As for that tiebreaker: well, there are no two teams with a more storied tradition and rivalry in our tournament than the DK staff (Sea Org) and the Calitics crew, this year competing as Six Californias. When it turned out that they were tied for third place, well, we couldn't just have them share the box of goodies, so ...
David Dayen v. Arjun Jaikumar. The judges await the the battle.
[Actually, we had them go back-and-forth naming members of Michigan's Congressional delegation. Arjun Jaikumar outlasted David Dayen with the 11th of 14 members named.]

In addition, awards were presented in the following categories:

Best Cheer:    Mic Check!
Best Costume:    Eau de troit
Best Ruminant Signs:    Moar Goatz
Best Team Name:    It Is Our Sincerely Held Religious Belief That Pub Quiz Team Names Are An Abortifacient, Therefore We Object To Completing This Form
Best Burmese Flag:    Shock & Awesome & The Pythons
Best Penmanship:    Sea Org
Laura Packard and the #ReadyForBonin team share some second-place Orange Faygo

Anyway, with apologies for the severe delay, here's the questions from this year's quiz.

Round One: Ford
Variations on a theme.
12 questions, 1 pt each (more or less)

Q1
Henry Ford's only son, and he named a car after him.

Q2
This was the most popular car model for American police cruisers over the past 15 years.

Q3
LBJ once said this person was "so dumb he can't fart and chew gum at the same time."

Q4
What you can do after you finish climbing every mountain, according to the Mother Abbess.

Q5
During an August 2007 joint appearance on Meet the Press, Markos Moulitsas invited him to come to the next year’s Netroots Nation conference. He came.

Q6
According to hitchhiking slang, he's a hoopy frood who really knows where his towel is.

Q7
The Onion’s AV Club described this Andrew "Dice" Clay film as "a creepy valentine to suspended adolescence and boorish misogyny."

Q8
Following his father into public service, he was the Democratic nominee in Pennsylvania’s 6th Congressional District in 2002.

Q9
Former resident Mark Twain once wrote of it, "Of all the beautiful towns it has been my fortune to see this is the chief."

Q10
While serving as U.S. Senator from 1885 until his death in 1893, he and his wife also endowed a university to serve as a memorial to their only son.

Q11
Holds the record for most Oscar wins for Best Director.

Q12
Casey Affleck received his only Oscar nomination for his title role in this film. (2pts)

Round 2: Detroit Rock City
Fill in the blank in these music lyrics, all from Michigan-based artists, recorded in Motown, or referring to the Great Lakes State
12 questions, worth 2 points each.

Q1
There ain't no mountain high enough
Ain't no valley low enough
Ain't no ____
To keep me from getting to you
--Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell

Q2
I can turn a gray sky blue.
I can make it rain, whenever I want it to.
Oh, I can build a castle from ___
I can make a ship sail on dry land.
--The Temptations, “Can’t Get Next To You”

Q3
“Kathy,” I said, as we boarded a Greyhound in Pittsburgh
“Michigan seems like a dream to me now
It took me four days to _____
I’ve come to look for America”

--Simon and Garfunkel, “America”

Q4
I woke last night to the sound of thunder
How far off I sat and wondered
Started _______
Ain't it funny how the night moves
--Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band, “Night Moves”

Q5
I'm about to give you all of my money
And all I'm askin' in return, honey
Is to give me my ____
When you get home
--Aretha Franklin, “Respect”

Q6
Fee, fee, fi, fi, fo-fo, fum
Look at Molly now, here she comes
Wearin' her wig hat and shades to match
She's got _
______
--Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels, “Devil With A Blue Dress”

Q7
Don't wanna hear about it
Every single one's got a story to tell
Everyone knows about it
From _
______ to ______
--White Stripes, “Seven Nation Army”

Q8
For there's __, ___, ___
And the king of all Sir Duke
And with a voice like Ella's ringing out
There's no way the band can lose
--Stevie Wonder, “Sir Duke”

Q9
Just like ____ did
I try to keep my sadness hid
--Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, “Tears of a Clown”

Q10
Yeah, I probably got a couple of screws up in my head loose
But no worse than what's going on in your parents' bedrooms
Sometimes I wanna get on TV and just let loose,
But can't. But it's cool for _______
--Eminem, “The Real Slim Shady”

Q11
The Northern Lights and the Southern Comfort
And it don't even matter if the veins are punctured
All the crackheads, the critics, the cynics
And all my heroes in _
____
--Kid Rock, “Bawitdaba”

Q12
There are five men name-checked in Madonna’s “Vogue”.  Name them.

(2 pts for four, 3 pts for all five.)

Adam Conner believed that he would win.
Round 3:
WOLVERINES!!
Welcome to wherever you are.  3pts each.

Q1
Is a baby wolverine known as a kit, a cub, a pup, or a leveret?

Q2
This University of Michigan alum's screenplay credits (or co-credits) include The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and The Big Chill.

Q3
This one-time Great Alaska Shootout star is the leading scorer in University of Michigan basketball history.

Q4
With her partner Charlie White, this University of Michigan student won the gold medal in Ice Dancing at the 2014 Winter Olympics.

Q5
Michigan Senator Carl Levin, when running for reelection to the Senate in 1984, defeated a University of Michigan alum who flew twice in space, once on the Skylab-3 mission and once as commander of the third space shuttle mission. Name him.

Q6
In 1997, this UM alum became the youngest-ever recipient of a Kennedy Center Honor; her memoir, Stand Up Straight and Sing! was published this year.

Q7
This fictional organization, funded by the Hanso Foundation, was created by a pair of UM doctoral students in 1970.

Q8
This UM alum has earned EGOT if you count the honorary Oscar he won in 2011, though his most famous film role may be one in which he is not seen.

Q9
Years after attending the UM School of Public Health, he went on to found the Tonton Macoute, which was decidedly not involved in promotion of public health.

Q10
Charlie Sheen, Patrick Swayze, Emilio Estevez, or C. Thomas Howell: which one does not appear in Red Dawn?

Q11
In how many released films has Hugh Jackman played Wolverine?

Q12
What is the first song Hugh Jackman sings in his Olivier Award-nominated performance as Curly in the musical Oklahoma?

Results are here, and, as always, this could not have happened without the judges: Katherine, Shayera, Jill, and Genevieve, thank you.

Originally posted to NetrootsNation on Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 12:00 PM PDT.

Also republished by Kitchen Table Kibitzing.

•  The Decision (25+ / 0-)

Here's the letter which Paul Hogarth read at the beginning of the competition, explaining his decision on where he'd compete this year:

"Before anyone ever cared what team I would play for in the pub quiz, I was a kid from California. It's where I walked. It's where I blogged. It holds a special place in my heart. People there have seen me grow up. My relationship with Calitics is bigger than pub quizzes. I didn't realize that last year. I do now.

Sea Org, for me, has been almost like college for other kids. The past couple years helped raise me into who I am. I became a better pub quizzer and a better man. I will always think of Sea Org as my second home. Without the Sea Org experience, I wouldn't be able to do what I'm doing today. The hardest thing to leave is what I built with those guys.

My goal is still to win as many pub quizzes as possible, no question. But what's most important for me is bringing one trophy back to California.

I feel my calling here goes above pub quizzes. I want kids in California to realize that there's no better place to grow up. Our community, which has struggled so much, needs all the talent it can get.

In California, nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have.

I'm ready to accept the challenge. I'm coming home."

•  The showtunes were the best. (10+ / 0-)

No, the tie breaker was.
    No, the trash talking was.
    No, it was the whole thing.

Definitely the whole pub quiz was the best.

And I'm still referring to the tiebreaker as Thunderdome. Two men enter, one man leaves.

~~insertobscurereference,pretentiousquoteORsalientaphorismhere~~

by shayera on Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 12:21:34 PM PDT

•  HODOR! (4+ / 0-)

Hodor.

All the children of your children's children, do you ever think what they're going to find? Make tomorrow, today...

by willy mugobeer on Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 12:28:03 PM PDT

•  The discard bin! (4+ / 0-)

I generate three times as many questions as I use. Here's some of the others:

Ford:

Sang "Close My Eyes Forever" with Ozzy Osbourne.

Went from Regis to Hoda

Co-wrote "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" and "Reach Out and Touch (Somebody's Hand)" with his wife Valerie Simpson.

This Kentuckian retired from the US Senate in 1999.

Pawnee entrepreneur famous for Rent-A-Swag and Entertainment 720.

Cast his nephew Nicolas Cage in Peggy Sue Got Married

Played Corky Sherwood on Murphy Brown

This dangerous option in the early computer game Oregon Trail is the only one which fits the category.

Born in the Volunteer State, he loaded 16 Tons, and got another day older and deeper in debt.

During an exploratory run for the US Senate from New York, explained that he completed a five-borough tour of NYC because his helicopter did touch down in Staten Island

According to Prof. Henry Higgins, these two places, plus Hampshire, are where hurricanes hardly happen.

Sawyer's real name on Lost.

Winner of the 1961 Cy Young Award

You should get double credit for naming this early 20th century English author, whose most famous book was The Good Soldier

Songs:
    ___, ____, and ___ now,
    Can't forget the Motor City,
    All we need is music, sweet music
    There'll be music everywhere
    There'll be swingin' swayin', and records playin,
    Dancin' in the street

_____, call me what you will
    Say I'm old-fashioned, say I'm over the hill
    Today's music ain't got the same soul
    I like that old time rock 'n' roll

Hey man, where'd you get that lotion?
    I've been hurting since I bought the gimmick
    About something called love
    Yeah, something called love
    Well, that's like
    ______

Stop! The love you save may be your own!
    Darling, take it slow
    Or some day you'll be all alone.
    You'd better stop the love you save may be your own!
    Darling, look both ways before you cross me
    _
    ________.

Wolverines!!
    Which Michigan Alum (and New Yorker staff writer) wrote this: "Every journalist who is not too stupid or too full of himself to notice what is going on knows that what he does is morally indefensible. He is a kind of confidence man, preying on people's vanity, ignorance or loneliness, gaining their trust and betraying them without remorse."

Which Charlie's Angels film star is a Michigan alum?

He leads all Michigan wide receivers in career receiving yards, and was a first-round pick of the Cleveland Browns.

Last Wolverine to win the Heisman

This current NFL offensive tackle is the only Wolverine in the past 70 years to be the #1 overall selection in the NFL draft

Chris Webber is the only Wolverine drafted #1 overall in the NBA draft in the past 40+ years. By which team was he drafted?

Bo Schembechler shares his actual first name with this man, the leading scorer in UM basketball history.

In the 2012 remake of Red Dawn, the Patrick Swayze role is portrayed by this actor, who carries a mighty hammer in his most popular role.

•  4th place Team Bi-Coastal here (6+ / 0-)

we coulda been a contender. If only we knew the answers to da questions.

•  What about the answers? (2+ / 0-)
    brillig, shayera

I couldn't make the convention this year so I didn't get to participate in the quiz. Bummer because MI is my home state. Now I have my answers but I need the correct answers so I can score my NN Pub Quiz Home Edition.

"Netroots Nation. The most fun you can have without spandex."

by Shanna on Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 01:14:40 PM PDT

•  Forbes Fashion Victims: We're #9! (5+ / 0-)

Clearly, music was our downfall (although how the hell THAT happened will forever remain a mystery).

It would be remiss of me not to point out the place improvement various members of last year's, umm... award-winning team made upon joining Shock & Awesome and The Pythons this year. Not that we shall ever speak of that again. Ever.

Looking forward to next year's Chairman's Emeritus Pub Quiz! I'm studying types of cactus already!

"But hate wears you down, and does not hurt your enemy. It is like taking poison and wishing your enemy would die." - - Cherokee saying

by brillig on Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 01:29:43 PM PDT

•  Alright I admit to being (0+ / 0-)

the outlier here. I usually love the pub quiz.  I've always thought a great quiz is where you end every question saying either "Rats!  I knew that and just couldn't think of it" or alternatively "wow, that's a cool fact I wish I had known!"

After most of these questions, to quote one of the people at our table, the response was more along the lines of "who cares?"

I recognize most of the people loved the questions, so I'm just speaking from my own experience. On the other hand, my hearing impairments make music not personally relevant, so I know that I'm - thankfully! - in the minority.

We started creating some other questions at our table. My favorite was, Which 2 presidents were born with different names than they were inaugurated as?  For a bonus point, what names were they born with?

•  I just came up with... (0+ / 0-)

a great Arizona-themed question, though it's probably too sports-related to use next year.  So here it is.

Angels All-Star Mike Trout finished 2nd in MVP voting in the Arizona Rookie League back when he first started in 2009.  Who beat him to win the MVP award?

Hint: Keith Olbermann is somewhat involved in this question.

•  Looking at the picture of the tie breaker, (2+ / 0-)
    Adam B, shayera

Genevieve has a look of "and why did I do this again"? on her face.

"You can't fix stupid" --Ron White -6.00, -5.18

by zenbassoon on Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 09:37:45 PM PDT

•  At first I was going to get a team of all (0+ / 0-)

Netroots scholarship winners together. But I found out that a whole bunch of the DFA people also wanted in.

Turns out between us we had like two plus teams.

Ready for Hodor and I think the 29 year old kids.

"You can't fix stupid" --Ron White -6.00, -5.18

by zenbassoon on Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 09:40:06 PM PDT

•  Raising a toast to Hodor (1+ / 0-)
    Adam B

"You can't fix stupid" --Ron White -6.00, -5.18

by zenbassoon on Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 09:44:55 PM PDT

•  Sea Org represent! (0+ / 0-)

An AMAZING, never-to-be-forgotten finish as Arjun slayed David in single combat. Wow! I'm still excited!

Thanks as always for running pub quiz, Adam. Forever the highlight of Netroots Nation.

Get the Daily Kos Elections Digest in your inbox every weekday. Sign up here.

by David Nir on Tue Aug 19, 2014 at 03:18:40 PM PDT

•  First Timer - So Glad I Played (2+ / 0-)
    belinda ridgewood, Adam B

It was my first time at Netroots, and I wasn't sure if I should spend Friday night walking down to the Labor-sponsored reception or sticking around the Convention Center and see what this Pub Quiz was all about.

Well, I'm so glad I stuck around!

I ended up with a great group of folks at a table in the front corner, right next to the screen, and somehow as the "Alpha Geeks" we figured out a bunch of the "Ford" clues, we had music fans at the table to offset my total lack of any lyric knowledge, and we took turns getting various Wolverine clues right.  We tied for 9th place, apparently, and I think for all of us, it felt like we were winners, too.

This was incredible fun, and among the best highlights of my trip to this year's Conference!

Thank you for the opportunity to play, and thank you for posting this great memory.

"We all do better, when we all do better." - Senator Paul Wellstone