Most people were pretty happy with President Obama's State of the Union speech, but we shouldn't overlook the fact that it made Republicans—specifically, congressional Republicans—very sad. So sad, in fact, that his words forced them to sit on their hands throughout nearly the entire speech.

Here's a video showing everything that President Obama said that made them stay silent:

To recap, when President Obama said these things...
  • That it's a good thing that after 12 long years the war in Afghanistan is finally coming to an end
  • That Congress shouldn't shut down government or threaten the full faith and credit of the United States
  • That Congress should pass legislation to put more Americans to work in the tech manufacturing sector
  • That he'll protect natural lands with his executive power
  • That Congress should repeal tax breaks for Big Oil
  • That Congress should restore unemployment insurance that it let expire at the end of the year
  • That women deserve equal pay for equal work
  • That nobody who works full time should have to raise a family in poverty, so Congress should raise the minimum wage to $10.10
  • That Congress shouldn't have another 40+ votes to repeal Obamacare
  • That votes, not money, should drive democracy
  • That he'll work to prevent more tragedies like Sandy Hook

...Republicans couldn't bring themselves to applaud. And if you can't understand why in the world they'd be against all that stuff, then you definitely should be voting Democratic in November.

•  Looks like a solid wedge platform for 2014 (25+ / 0-)

Specially if he backs it all up with executive actions. Of course, missing items include NSA, immigration....

Shall we go? Yes, let's go.

by whenwego on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 09:53:48 AM PST

•  it wasn't in this clip... (1+ / 0-)
      Mogolori

but Immigration got some time. I don't recall anything about the NSA, true, but there was a line on drones that made me cautiously optimistic.

"There is one rule for the industrialist and that is: Make the best quality of goods possible at the lowest cost possible, paying the highest wages possible." -Henry Ford

by sixeight120bpm on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 11:38:51 AM PST

•  NSA reference (1+ / 0-)
        jyssco
        ...working with this Congress, I will reform our surveillance programs – because the vital work of our intelligence community depends on public confidence, here and abroad, that the privacy of ordinary people is not being violated.

"I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights." (From "You Said a Mouthful" by Bishop Desmond Tutu - South African bishop & activist, b.1931)

by FiredUpInCA on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 12:10:27 PM PST

•  That video should be the basis of a DNC.... (18+ / 0-)

campaign commercial for the fall elections.

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.

by Magster on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 09:54:05 AM PST

•  And also what he didn't say (8+ / 0-)

"Hello, Congress, I'm STILL not Mitt Romney". Put a damper on the whole event for Republicans.

Really, though, Republicans don't have a plan beyond "No". Except "Hell, No!".

I'm on a mission! http://www.dailykos.com/comments/1233352/51142428#c520 Testing the new site rules.

by blue aardvark on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 09:54:46 AM PST

•  I need new glasses or new eyes (9+ / 0-)

because I swear that said " Here's what made Republicans shit on their hands"

We view "The Handmaid's Tale" as cautionary. The GOP views it as an instruction book.

by Vita Brevis on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 09:55:51 AM PST

•  There is nothing to be said to the GOP Congress (2+ / 0-)
    mconvente, stagemom

except to suck it

•  Was it just me (7+ / 0-)

or did Boehner look like he was having an issue with indigestion through most of the speech?

I know, I know- he looks like that a lot.

The tyranny of a prince in an oligarchy is not so dangerous to the public welfare as the apathy of a citizen in a democracy. -Charles de Montesquieu

by dawgflyer13 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 09:59:22 AM PST

•  But, but, but, if they did ANY of those things (2+ / 0-)
    blue aardvark, mconvente

they'd have to do some real work. Besides the two things they actually do. (trying to repeal the ACA and making abortion illegal)

"Onward through the fog!" - Oat Willie

by rocksout on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 10:00:28 AM PST

•  40% Dont vote during Presidential elections, more (7+ / 0-)

Dont vote during mid-term elections...its just so mind boggling and annoying and discouraging.

I will do my part, but sometimes I tremble in trepidation when I hear that Dem held Senate seats in Michigan, Wisconsin are under threat, and that those Dems in so called red states are also in dire straits.

For goodness sakes let I hope Dems hang on to the senate or the country is screwed.

•  They don't vote because there is no legitimate (2+ / 0-)
      rbird, olo

entity out there representing their interests.

So why should they bother?

•  If there were a candidate named... (1+ / 0-)
        Roadbed Guy

...None of the Above in every election,
        I believe we could get rid of the crooks, & assholes in 3 or 4 cycles.

Nuclear Reactor = Dirty Bomb

by olo on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 10:40:54 AM PST

•  I've been told that that IS an option in Nevada (2+ / 0-)
          olo, politicalceci

(more or less by default) and wins more often than one might suspect/hope.

But sadly, the crooks and assholes tend to be very flexible at re-branding themselves and maintaining power (a couple of diverse examples of that are Chris Christie and Vladimir Putin).

•  I have no problem with Putin. (0+ / 0-)

He's on the other side of the world.

Regarding Christie, the first things i learned about him
            is that he is a pig & a bully & obviously connected, if not made.
            All I can say about him now is,
            he's finished,
            but in the most delicious,
            slow-motion-finished,
            since Nixon.

Nuclear Reactor = Dirty Bomb

by olo on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 10:51:55 AM PST

•  The point wasn't really whether you (0+ / 0-)

personally had a problem with him or not.

Rather, he was a complete KGB-type fuckwad surely despised by the majority of Russia's population prior to the dissolution of the USSR ca. 1989.

But that didn't hinder himself from re-inventing himself as something else later on an gaining power in "legitimate" elections - and that "something else" was actually remarkable similar to Christie's bully & thug way of doing things, whatever that's worth.

•  We have more than enough homegrown... (0+ / 0-)

We have more than enough homegrown 'complete fuckwads' to fill the requirements of your point.
                So why go to the other side of the world for an example when we have just as good, or even better, complete fuckwads in our midst?

Nuclear Reactor = Dirty Bomb

by olo on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 11:09:10 AM PST

•  The point pertains to your contention that (0+ / 0-)

we could get rid of these types in 3 or 4 cycles.

My point is that the ability for these types to re-brand themselves is a more or less a universal phenomenon, and thus probably not that easily thwarted.

•  Roadbed's got a point... (1+ / 0-)
        Roadbed Guy

I'd like to add to this by mentioning that the Republicans in congress FEAR their base.  The Democrats in Washington don't seem to fear us.  Maybe more of us would turn out if we scared them a little more.

Join Essa in a revolt against the gods. Continue the fight, Causality.

by rbird on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 10:42:07 AM PST

•  Why should they? (0+ / 0-)
          The Democrats in Washington don't seem to fear us.
          We've proven time after time that we fall into the "loyal soldier" meme that totally subscribes to the "lesser of two evils" mindset.

And if we weren't that way, the country would be arguably in even worse shape.  If that's any consolation.

•  They don't vote because there is no legitimate (0+ / 0-)

entity out there representing their interests" argument is nonsense. There is no reason not to vote if you want these knuckle-draggers out on their ears!

There are more of us (Dems, Liberals, Progressives, etc. 99%) than there are of them (Repugs, TeaBaggers, Righties, etc. + 1%). When we vote, we win! It is that simple, really. The stinking "red tide" of 2010 that we are witnessing messing up the country was ushered in by that same lame excuse.

If your vote didn't count why would they go to such extremes to stop it? Seriously, VOTE and get others to vote! When we vote, we win!

•  This should be a campaign flyer put out (3+ / 0-)

by the DNC

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. - Susan B. Anthony

by pajoly on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 10:01:47 AM PST

•  This year instead of miming or blurting out (6+ / 0-)

You Lie, they tweeted nastygrams and riled each other up.
    Similar to 6th grade behavior with a substitute teacher.

If I ran this circus, things would be DIFFERENT!

by CwV on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 10:03:24 AM PST

•  Sorry, but (1+ / 0-)
    Roadbed Guy

I thought this speech totally sucked.  There is SO much wrong with the state of our union.  I heard pre-speech hype that the president was going to seriously address income inequality, but instead he massaged the egos of the TPP- and NSA- and Citizens United-ers to the point where I had to shut it off in disgust before he got to the tear-jerk end.  (Yep, could only make it through 46 minutes, and that was a struggle.)  The main thing I got from this one is a crystal clear message that the 1% rules and if you don't like that... well that's why we keep Guantanamo open ;)   Peace.

If I have any spit left after I've licked my own wounds, I'll be glad to consider licking yours. Peace.

by nancyjones on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 10:05:01 AM PST

•  Yeah, kinda sounded like the new Pope (1+ / 0-)
      nancyjones

that is so popular at this site.

Insofar as all the right things are being said, very vaguely, while for all intents and purposes business as usual continues. With a vengeance.

•  I don't even think the prez said the right things (1+ / 0-)
        Roadbed Guy

He said TPP and NSA domestic surveillance are cool.  I disagree.  At least the pope is saying stuff I can agree with.

by nancyjones on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 10:15:46 AM PST

•  Yeah OK, instead of saying (1+ / 0-)
          nancyjones

he said "all the right things" I suppose I should have said he "said a few of the right things"

I guess I was overly influenced by the list given in this diary.  I really, really have to stop believing everything I see on the intertubes . ..

•  Except not so much with the Pope (0+ / 0-)

Just a reminder, I'm not a Christian or a Catholic, so I've got no skin in this game.  Criticize the Pope all you want, I don't really care.

But...

I do know the Pope's canned a bunch of bishops and cardinals, fired everyone in the Vatican bank, and punched a rich guy - the last part only in a metaphorical sense.

Better than the last guy, that alone is a big improvement.

Join Essa in a revolt against the gods. Continue the fight, Causality.

by rbird on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 10:52:53 AM PST

•  Yeah, but so what? (0+ / 0-)
          I mean George W. Bush took the same approach to the Justice Department - but were things improved at all?

(the short answer is no, they weren't, it was just a way to install his own crooks).

When the Pope actually does something substantial, then I'll jump aboard his bandwagon (e.g, such as paying the billions of dollars in court-order settlements for child abuse that are currently being shirked, or by doing some on-the-ground distribution of birth control materials in places where they are badly needed, like portions of Africa).

Otherwise, it's all "sound and fury"

•  We all wish for The Shoes of the Fisherman... (0+ / 0-)

...with Pope Anthony Quinn giving away all the wealth of the Church to feed the poor of the world, but I don't think that's gonna happen any time soon.

This Pope is an improvement.  Just saying this...

How can it be that it is not a news item when an elderly homeless person dies of exposure, but it is news when the stock market loses two points?
            ...at least someone said what I've been thinking for years.  As to the rest, I'll wait and see.

Like I said, I got no skin in this game.  Criticize the Church and the Pope all you want, they deserve it.

Totally off-topic, I came up with a nifty little phrase, thought I'd try it out on you.

Do the nation a favor, punch a rich guy in the wallet.

Join Essa in a revolt against the gods. Continue the fight, Causality.

by rbird on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 12:03:10 PM PST

•  actually (1+ / 0-)
    blue aardvark

I thought Boehner was pretty well behaved--and, on my tv, very very tan.  Also thought Biden looked very good--who pays for his plastic surgery and hair plugs?  Money well spent.

Actions speak louder than petitions.

by melvynny on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 10:07:22 AM PST

•  What is he, some kind of LIBBURUL? (0+ / 0-)
  •  Excellent post...very illuminating and clear (4+ / 0-)
    cocinero, grover, Janet 707, politicalceci

Thanks.

"Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face?" - General Jack D. Ripper

by wilder5121 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 10:09:18 AM PST

•  Yes. (0+ / 0-)

I'm glad it's written out. The list is much clearer than the video. I know the point is to not embarrass the president, so you don't show them sitting on their hands. But having clearer video of them pouting when the president says "12 years of war is bad" would be helpful.

Americans are so very war weary. They want their friends, neighbors, brothers and sister to come home and stay here.

Only the most rabid of the base feel otherwise.

© grover

by grover on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 10:36:53 AM PST

•  You forgot . . . (0+ / 0-)

"The State of our Union is Strong".

Republicans have been complaining about this ever since the black guy got elected.

Republicans - No solutions, just reasons why other peoples solutions will not work.

by egarratt on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 10:09:36 AM PST

•  co-operation is not a Republican attribute (1+ / 0-)
    politicalceci

1.  The Republican response to the  Presidency of this man has been characterized by a lack of concern for the welfare of the people of this nation.

2.  In the past when public lands have been set aside they have been pretty much handed over to energy interests to mine and exploit in exchange for a few dollars.  So unless he is not going to do that I am not thinking his proposal to set aside even more land is a good idea.

3.  If he wanted to help the environment and decrease C02 emissions he would forbid export of coal to China and others who would burn it. I did not hear him say he would do that. The policies of his administration have simply moved the source of the climate problem. That is not a viable approach to the climate debacle he made mention of.

"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness," Allen Ginsberg

by Hermenutic on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 10:10:57 AM PST

•  "votes, not money" (0+ / 0-)

Some irony in that sentiment from the President who broke all records for fund-raising and turned down public financing for his campaigns.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 10:11:08 AM PST

•  You left out "Palestinian state." (0+ / 0-)

They sure sat on their hands when he said that.

Art is the handmaid of human good.

by joe from Lowell on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 10:16:57 AM PST

•  At this point in his Presidency (3+ / 0-)
    RadGal70, Janet 707, politicalceci

the only things that Barack Obama could possibly say to get the Republicans in Congress to applaud him would be

1) I am an executive and serve at the bidding of my Republican Friends in the House of Representatives

or

2) Effective immediately, I am resigning the Presidency of the United States of America. Further more, Vice-President Biden is resigning as well. Congratulations, President Boehner!

Darling, you didn't use canned salmon, did you?

by JrCrone on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 10:17:25 AM PST

•  After all that,... (1+ / 0-)
    politicalceci

...their hands must be numb.

I'm not always political, but when I am I vote Democratic. Stay Democratic, my friends. -The Most Interesting Man in the World

by boran2 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 10:18:41 AM PST

•  Obama was the adult in the room (4+ / 0-)
    cocinero, olo, Janet 707, FiredUpInCA

I thought the SotU speech was great, one of his best.  He came off as an adult.  Sometimes, like an adult admonishing children.  He kept talking about "bipartisan" work and even mentioned Saint Reagan... but continually hammered home his proposals and why even Republicans should vote for them.

He did it with style, humor and emotion.  The conservatives looked like petulant children grudgingly allowed at the grownups table.

If Republicans are going to act like children, they should be treated like children.  They need a time out.

Vote Democratic, and vote in the primaries to get good Democrats.

Obama has laid the foundation for the Democrats to retake the House in 2014.  It's now up to him to act decisively, for the Democrats in the Senate to step up, and for the Democrats in the House to be are forceful (but not as arrogant) as their GOP counterparts in asserting their plans to move forward.

"What doesn't have credibility today is the truth." -- Bill Moyers, The Daily Show 6/22/05

by Baron Dave on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 10:19:09 AM PST

•  Running to the progressives, at last (3+ / 0-)
    JrCrone, olo, The Green Nugget

President Obama has spent the last 5 years running to the right away from the progressives who put him in office - twice.  He has supported the oil industry, the coal industry, the big banks, Wall Street, and possibly worst of all the health insurance industry and the for profit health care industry.  He failed to pursue shutting down Gitmo, it took 4 years to end the useless war in Iraq, and we are still in Afg.  Nothing has been done to slow the slaughter of children in schools, raise the minimum wage, or change wage inequality for women.

And now, he is running to the progressives - with almost every issue, with the exception of restoring protections under the 4th Amendment, that have been hot buttons for the progressives for a very long time.

I am glad to see it finally happen, but do the Dems expect us to just run out and start cheering in the streets because of another speech?

To put it simply, where is the beef?

•  Calling out the repugs on their obstruction at the (0+ / 0-)

StU not cool, but the President ought to start doing it today and everyday for the rest of his term. Then maybe the Dems can hold the Senate.

TPP? WTF? I'm tired already.

•  Because (1+ / 0-)
      Arenosa

at first he was doing what he does best, make deals, agreements, build bridges and relationships and consensus - things that worked well for him as a community organizer.  You know, a little give and take.

But the GOP was never interested in building a relationship with the President, or making any deals.  They just wanted him gone.

Obama seems to have finally come to the point in his mind, heart and career were he is ready to acknowledge that those people simply cannot be reasoned with.  They hate him and anything he wants, even if they want the same damn thing.  That speech was the beginning of true acceptance of the reality of intentions of the GOP.

•  Just scratching their heads (0+ / 0-)

Peace on Earth was all it said.

by BobBlueMass on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 10:21:41 AM PST

•  Watching Boehner's face throughout (4+ / 0-)

the speech was priceless. That man was suffering the entire time.

“Mitt Romney is the only person in America who looked at the way this Congress is behaving and said, ‘I want the brains behind THAT operation.’ ” — Tom Perriello

by hungrycoyote on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 10:23:14 AM PST

•  When he said "Climate change is a fact" (7+ / 0-)

I'll bet the deniers all sat on their hands.

•  Yea, Yea, Yea, What I want... (0+ / 0-)

...to know is this:
    Did Obama's speech send a thrill
    up Chris Matthews' (aka Tweety) leg?

Nuclear Reactor = Dirty Bomb

by olo on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 10:27:01 AM PST

•  I wish the President would be more specific. (0+ / 0-)

For instance:

That Republicans shouldn't shut down government or threaten the full faith and credit of the United States

That Republicans should restore unemployment insurance that they let expire at the end of the year

That Republicans shouldn't have another 40+ votes to repeal Obamacare

''Over the last 30 odd years, Democrats have moved to the right and the right has moved into the mental hospital."-Bill Maher

by shoeless on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 10:37:15 AM PST

•  Blah Blah Blah. (0+ / 0-)

Fuckin blah. Did anyone catch the part about job saving free trade agreements. Hard to believe that this gentleman ran as a deficit hawk.

•  I am pleased that the POTUS (0+ / 0-)

said what he did in the SOTU.  It's about time.  No more kowtowing to the GOP.  No more being condescended to by public officials beneath the office of the Presidency.  It is time to remind them who is in charge.

I am also glad that Boehner and Christie were especially taken down a peg.  It is sickening to see the continual lack of respect from the GOP especially during formal, traditional occasions such as the SOTU speech.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

by politicalceci on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 11:33:44 AM PST

•  Next year, ... (0+ / 0-)

...let's move the State of the Union to a private location, fully funded by private donations.  Something inside; big enough to hold many, many thousands --- and we won't invite the Republicans.  Imagine the roar  of tens of thousands as they give the C-in-C standing ovation upon standing ovation.  Invite all the foreign networks; invite all the progressive/liberal e-networks and blogs; invite MSNBC; invite the other major networks (but not FAUX), and vet everyone entering the building.  Freeze the wingers and their drum-beating apparatchiks right out of it.

Don't give them their time in the spotlight any more.

Ever again.

Make them irrelevant.

Invite the whole world to help pay for it, if necessary.  This can be done now, because their isn't a court on the planet that'll say a president in his last term of office is accepting foreign funds as campaign contributions.  He can't campaign any more.

Let the berserker fringe see up-front what it is they're dealing with --- and then, let them crawl back into their holes and sulk.

Because reality.

Period.

Proponents of gun violence own guns. Opponents of gun violence do not own guns. What part of this do you not understand?

by Liberal Panzer on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 12:50:41 PM PST

•  However, Boehner was forced to look like he (0+ / 0-)

was clapping during the equal pay thing, but he didn't look like he liked it.

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." --M. L. King "You can't fix stupid" --Ron White -6.00, -5.18

by zenbassoon on Wed Jan 29, 2014 at 01:08:54 PM PST

•  Whenever I read or hear (0+ / 0-)

Because: Obama! (that phrase in both text and speech) I wonder when we'll actually be able to speak aloud that the true reason at the heart of national insanity is:

Black Man Inna White House.

It's time to give yourself a deep, introspective search and ponder why.

Life ain't like a box of chocolates. You pretty much do know what you're gonna get.

by Nodin on Fri Jan 31, 2014 at 12:20:57 PM PST