Hello all!  I've had a busy past few weeks with moving back to college and having nothing but daily track practices, so this feature took a minor pause.  Since we are only in January of 2013, we have a ways to go so I won't rush this; but don't expect weekly updates either.

Before we get into the next chapter, I just want to preface this post with a bit of information.  Yes, Michele Bachmann will likely be re-elected in 2014 and in the unlikely event she does; it would be hard press to retain a seat in such a red district.  However, her seat isn't like Eric Cantor's or Virginia Foxx's in terms of "there is an absolute 0% chance she's going to lose" but she hovers just slightly above that range.

Also, this feature really will focus on a lot of winnable races in D-friendly or just slightly R-friendly seats.  A lot of the incumbents we are pining to replace will likely be Congresspeople with low name recognition and low controversy.

With all that being said, I'm not trying to douse you all with cold water.  But I would be okay with making a more comprehensive goal list for us.  From now on I'll include a bevy of links that I find to be useful such as websites for potential candidates and local Democratic chapters.  I'm even considering throwing a bit of attention to State Senate races as our goal should always be to keep Democrats elected.

So now that we got that out of the way, let me introduce you to Mike Coffman, the representative for Colorado's Sixth District.

Now Mike Coffman does not have the notoriety of Michele Bachmann at all.  In fact, I'm willing to bet that he might be a little bit off some of the non-election followers radars.  However, if we want to win the House; we will likely need to get this seat in a district that encompasses Littleton and portions of Aurora.

Let's introduce (or re-introduce) Rep. Mike Coffman.

Legislation:
-Advocated for the cutting of TRICARE.

Headlines:

-Signer of the Grover Norquist pledge.
-Flirted with birtherism, as this was his quote when asked (in 2012 mind you) about the citizenship of Barack Obama.

“I don’t know whether Barack Obama was born in the United States of America. I don’t know that, but I do know this, that in his heart, he’s not an American. He’s just not an American.
-When "apologizing" for his birther comments, Coffman had this little nugget to say.
“[Issues are] going to determine this election, not focusing on the birther question. God bless people that do that. I understand their passion.”
-When he wasn't engaging in birther-related conspiracies, Coffman was touting his own zany conspiracies when talking about a potential "October surprise".

Mind you this was all only in his second term as a Representative.

Electoral History:
2008:  Coffman (R): 60.67%, Hank Eng (D):  39.33%
2010:  Coffman (R): 65.67%, John Flerlage (D): 31.46%
2012:  Coffman (R): 47.8%, Joe Miklosi (D): 45.8%,

As you can tell, redistricting made this race a lot tougher than it previously was as well as Coffman's own foot-in-the-mouth comments.

Cook PVI:
D+1

Prospects:

I would say it's rather unlikely Joe Miklosi takes the plunge again considering he wasn't able to squeak out a race that should've been very winnable.

My perfect candidate, in terms of who I would back, is Colorado State Sen. Morgan Carroll.  Carroll, who was elected to the Senate in 2008, would likely have little trouble raising money thanks to her status as Senate Majority Leader, a position she was just appointed to.  Carroll has emerged as a rising star in Colorado politics and i think she would be the ideal non-DC candidate to take down Coffman.  At only 41 years old, she has a bright political future.

However as of late, a new name has emerged and that's the name of Andrew Romanoff, the failed 2010 candidate for the Democratic nomination.  Romanoff, a former Colorado House Speaker, likely has some good name recognition so it would be interesting to see what happens if he announces a run.

Why We Can Do This:

This district is a lot more favorable to Democrats and a race we should win, even if it's not a complete wave year.  This race will likely always be a close one given how it's about as "swing-y" of a district as there can be.  Nonetheless, if we can win in 2014 then maybe we can keep winning this seat until 2020 when gerrymandering comes back into focus.

Links You Oughta Check Out:

Official Website For Morgan Carroll
Official Twitter For Morgan Carroll
Facebook Page For Morgan Carroll

Andrew Romanoff Twitter
Andrew Romanoff Facebook

DONATE To The Colorado Democratic Party

•  Tip Jar (11+ / 0-)

#ConstructNotObstruct http://polliticstoday.wordpress.com

by RVKU on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 10:43:18 AM PST

•  We will lose the midterms if we don't (5+ / 0-)

start treating midterms like Presidential elections.

•  I encourage this sort of thinking (4+ / 0-)
    RVKU, mdmslle, WisJohn, General Goose

And yes, Coffman is vulnerable. He projects a moderate image but really isn't.

He is, so far as I know, actually likeable, though. He's not a jerk, just a conservative.

Economics is a social *science*. Can we base future economic decisions on math?

by blue aardvark on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 11:09:59 AM PST

•  tipped recced and shared with my FB (0+ / 0-)

group called Take Back the House!

We're gearing up for action and I'm currently building an action platform.

If anyone is up on facebook, please join. It's moderated and closed group. We only accept serious folks. In other words, it's not a place where we're bickering and fighting and posting endless petitions and other photo-memes. We're a group of folks ready to get to work.

I'm an admin there so join, then tell others.

I've also republished this to state and local action group, my Dkos group here, because it's the state houses that lost us the U.S. house in 2012 and the GOP understand that. They will not stop what they've done. they recognize that they can't win demographically or on their ideas and they're rigging the system. If we don;t get busy at the local and state level, the federal level is a joke.

•  Morgan Carroll all the way (2+ / 0-)
    WisJohn, GoUBears

after Romanoff's disgustingly opportunistic faux challenge from the left to Michael Bennet that would have handed the seat to Ken Buck had it been successful, I'd rather have a Democrat who doesn't try to run an "it's my time" type of campaign.

Plus, his base isn't even in the district whereas Carroll's is and she either won't have to give up her seat this cycle or will be term limited come 2016 so I definitely think she should run.

by sawolf on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 11:46:00 AM PST

•  I can agree that Carroll is the logical choice. (1+ / 0-)
      farleftfagala

Met her several times.  Personable, very charismatic and would make the best choice from the standpoint of living in the district and having her base there.

In defense of Romanoff's campaign, while I don't think his campaign was substantive and was even disingenuous, and I agree he wouldn't have beaten Ken Buck, both due to lack of resources and no coherent message, I really feel that primary sharpened up Michael Bennet.  I think it put him in a place where he had to campaign and up his game.   He came out of the primary tested and proven and I'm not sure an unchallenged Bennet would have beaten Buck.

If you listen to fools, the Mob Rules

by CO Democrat on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 06:42:41 PM PST

•  Carroll (1+ / 0-)

Any idea whether she wants to go to DC? On paper she seems like she might be stronger than Romanoff even though she's to his left, at least if Romanoff still isn't taking PAC money.

SSP poster. 43, new CA-6, -0.25/-3.90

by sacman701 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 03:39:56 PM PST

•  Well... (2+ / 0-)
          MichaelNY, sacman701

...Morgan lives in CO-06, so her base is there.  And while Romanoff will get the Dem voters, Morgan will get people who know her beyond that base more easily.  She's smart, very charismatic and is a rising star.  The thing I've heard is that she wants to get out of the legislative side of politics and into the executive side.   As well as CO-06, she has been discussed as a possible candidate for Colorado Attorney General.  She might use that as a stepping stone to Governor.

As far as Andrew Romanoff goes, he is known for being our State house speaker.  He was a great speaker.  Personally, I didn't think that he ran a good senate campaign.  Three things I would say about him and this race. 1) He'd better make up his mind soon one way or the other.  2) He needs a cogent campaign message.  I didn't feel that he had that in the primary against Senator Bennet and I didn't feel that Joe Miklosi had that running against Coffman.  3)  He needs to drop the no PAC money pledge if he hasn't already.  It hasn't done him any favors and in this situation, he won't be doing himself any favors because he eliminates an avenue to victory and it's too inside baseball for people not into politics to grasp.

Both would make great candidates and they are heavy hitters.  But, which ever one runs, needs to play their cards right.

If you listen to fools, the Mob Rules

by CO Democrat on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 08:48:57 PM PST

•  Disagree (1+ / 0-)

Not sure if you live here, but your depiction of Andrew Romanoff is way off.  Yes the campaign was ill-advised and run poorly, but Bennet was no juggernaut at the time, only winning 54-46% with the backing of the President and entire establishment.  I also don't think Buck would have won with him on the ballot, Bennet ran a great campaign, and he needed that to make up for his shortcomings as a candidate.  Romanoff had the opposite problem and insider Republicans are scared to death of him.

I think CD6 is the right race for him, though I'd certainly back Carroll as well (as would Romanoff I think, she endorsed him in 2010 btw).  Other than her, Dems actually in the district who want to run for Congress (or have the chops) are hard to find.  I don't think Romanoff would have a base problem, he was pretty well known and liked outside of Denver before his 2010 campaign and I think most hard feelings have since dissipated.

•  As for Carroll (1+ / 0-)

I think she's wanting to run for AG or SOS, the lower-tier statewide races that don't get the same attention as the top, she'd do well there and Hick may have long coat-tails because of his popularity

•  House targets (2+ / 0-)
    RVKU, MichaelNY

I saw all of the requests/suggestions in your last diary. Start with the Obama republican districts and take it from there?

•  Morgan Carroll (1+ / 0-)
    RVKU

Yuk.  She'd never beat Coffman (if he runs again for this seat, he's a possible candidate for Governor or US Senator).  He'd just let her witchy ways come out and scoop up what's left.  Dems are better off with Romanoff (doesn't live in the district) or perhaps Sen. Linda Newell who just won re-election in a Littleton District that is very similar demographically to the entire district.  There's a strong bench here so should be able to find a good candidate.  Miklosi, terrible candidate, lazy, not smart, didn't raise money, didn't spend what he had smartly, just all around a bust for Democrats.

•  I have to say Morgan Carroll (1+ / 0-)

She lives in the district and is quite charismatic and strong.

I have found a nearby soda fountain that has Fruitopia! My life is complete.

by KingofSpades on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 02:49:20 PM PST

•  I'd recommend (1+ / 0-)
    RVKU

creating a separate diary as a reference for this series, with a brief description and links (updated as the series progresses) to the various diaries. I've seen some series where the links to other chapters were provided in every single diary, but it would be much more convenient to have a link in your first paragraph, both for you and for a booklink reference for the rest of us.

ME-01 (college) ID-01 (home) -9.85, -3.85

by GoUBears on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 08:59:27 PM PST

•  Good diary (1+ / 0-)
    RVKU

This loss was one that made me very angry. A campaign by someone with decent funding and some toughness could beat an extremist like Coffman.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 01:48:08 PM PST

•  CO-Sen. (2+ / 0-)
    RVKU, MichaelNY

Coffman has now definitively ruled out running against Udall in 2014.

If you listen to fools, the Mob Rules

by CO Democrat on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 08:30:58 PM PST

•  Former State Rep. Karen Middleton... (1+ / 0-)

...is also looking at this race.

She was a state rep in Aurora, moved out of state to help an organization get started up to help women candidates and is now back.  She still owns her house in Aurora.

If you listen to fools, the Mob Rules