The Replacements -- "Bastards of Young"

Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 10:00 AM PT (David Nir): Looks like we may have some news out of NJ-Sen:

Democratic Sen. Frank Lautenberg has decided not to run for re-election, NBC 4 New York has learned.

Sources familiar with Lautenberg's thinking tell NBC 4 New York that the senator, who turns 89 this month, won't run again in 2014.

But Politico begs to differ:
“The news report that claims Senator Lautenberg has decided to retire is simply not true,” said Lautenberg spokesman Caley Gray in a statement blasted out to reporters three hours after the WNBC newscast, which cited sources familiar with Lautenberg’s thinking.
This is why stories based on unquoted, unnamed sources drive me nuts!

•  MA Senate (1+ / 0-)
    Zack from the SFV

Markey!

And Frank as interim appointee.

•  I'm thinking Frank isn't the best option. (7+ / 0-)

We don't need Markey fighting Frank for coverage/camera time while he's running against Brown while Frank is grandstanding in the Senate.  Markey is a low-key guy, and needs to build his name rec and that will be harder if Frank is sucking all of the oxygen out of the room out in front of the cameras with his usual bombast.

He's already making himself the story when it should be about who will beat Brown.

President Obama would have been a Republican in the 1980's.

by Jacoby Jonze on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 04:36:02 PM PST

•  Hadn't considered that... (2+ / 0-)
        itskevin, MichaelNY

Thanks for the insight.

I didn't sign the petition to ask the gov to appoint Frank because I'm not an MA citizen and figured it wouldn't make any difference.  I strongly support Markey's campaign and have ponied a few $.  It's hard not to want Frank in the interim, but you make a good point.

•  We don't even know if Brown is going to run (7+ / 0-)

And if Markey can't focus some of the spotlight on himself, then that's not Barney Frank's fault. Unless you think the Boston press can only report on one politician at the time.

•  My hunch (1+ / 0-)
        KingofSpades

Brown runs for Gov, and Coakley avenges herself.

Moderate Progressive, Born in Cairo, Raised in NY-11, Living in NJ-13.

by BKGyptian89 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 07:57:32 PM PST

•  You think that if he were running for Senate... (0+ / 0-)

that we'd at least hear rumblings by now?

Age 23. Voting in NJ-03. Lived most of life in NJ-01. Had Rush Holt represent me during my undergrad years and am now represented by Frank Pallone in my grad school.

by KingofSpades on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 08:05:00 PM PST

•  He's nearly broke from that race (4+ / 0-)

with Warren and plus if he wins he'll have to run again in '14. He better off running for Governor in which he will essentially do nothing since the Dems have a stranglehold in the state legislature.

I think he loses that race anyway.

Moderate Progressive, Born in Cairo, Raised in NY-11, Living in NJ-13.

by BKGyptian89 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 08:26:05 PM PST

•  There is rumblings... (1+ / 0-)

In seemingly every article about Frank or Markey it mentions Brown and how Brown insiders believe/are being told he's going to run for the Senate.  It's usually only a sentence or two, but I've seen it a lot lately when reading about Markey's endorsements, other potential primary candidates or Frank drama

President Obama would have been a Republican in the 1980's.

by Jacoby Jonze on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 08:39:29 PM PST

•  I just browsed a bit (3+ / 0-)
              MichaelNY, James Allen, NMLib

sources close to him say he's undecided, but is considering it (who wouldn't).  What I meant is some internal activity to indicate one is gearing up for an actual campaign rather than just thinking about it.  Also, it seems his candidate for Mass GOP Chair isn't getting the support needed to secure her election.

by KingofSpades on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 12:36:05 AM PST

•  Indeed (0+ / 0-)

She's not popular around here, but the fact is that Coakley will be very difficult to beat in a governor's race. Against Brown it would be hers to lose. Though I doubt State Street Scotty thinks that.

"Every daring attempt to make a great change in existing conditions, every lofty vision of new possibilities for the human race, has been labeled Utopian."

by xcave on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 06:48:05 PM PST

•  Don't agree (0+ / 0-)

since Frank has enthusiastically endorsed Markey. I think appointing Frank could HELP Markey.

Jon Husted is a dick.

by anastasia p on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 08:24:17 PM PST

•  Well since Frank is also looking to help (1+ / 0-)
        LordMike

Markey get elected to the Senate, you'd think he'd take that under consideration.

And his making himself the story doesn't matter right now because there is no other story right now. Kerry hasn't even been confirmed yet, there's no vacancy to fill nor a special election to be run for.

I'll admit that I'm a Frank fanboy though, so I'm probably biased.

24, Practical Progressive Democrat (-4.75, -4.51), DKE Gay Caucus Majority Leader, IN-02; Swingnut. Defeat Wacky Jackie for 2014!

by HoosierD42 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 12:18:29 AM PST

•  What's the deal with St. Senator Ben Downing? (1+ / 0-)

He has a small cabal up there.

by KingofSpades on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 08:05:43 PM PST

•  nothing much happening here in the NW (6+ / 0-)

my biggest concern right now is my winter break is ending this weekend.

by James Allen on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 04:36:31 PM PST

•  This week I'm interested in gubernatorial races (6+ / 0-)

with an eye towards blocking Republican trifectas and redistricting control next round, hoping that if we win states like Pennsylvania our incumbent will be popular enough to win reelection in 2018.  My tentative race ratings are as follows:
    Photobucket
    Rhode Island can be treated as Likely "not Republican" and Maine can be treated as Lean "not Republican."

At this point if forced to chose, I think we pick up Maine, Rhode Island (Chaffee as a Dem or another Dem), Pennsylvania (Corbett is quite unpopular), Michigan, Virginia (Cuccinelli is unpopular, McAuliffe unknown and leading him), and Florida while losing Arkansas (assuming McDaniel is the nominee).
    Arizona and Texas are the races to watch as Carmona could make it interesting and if Perry is renominated then we're competitive.  In Illinois I'm assuming Quinn either retires or loses the primary, otherwise this one isn't safe but not gone either.

by sawolf on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 05:38:22 PM PST

•  Ignoring this petition is dangerous... (11+ / 0-)

If word of this gets out, it could generate sympathy for the Rebellion in the senate.

GODSPEED TO THE WISCONSIN FOURTEEN!

by LordMike on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 06:32:16 PM PST

•  Anytime we can reference Star Wars (5+ / 0-)

and still have it be relevant to politics is a win.  I think I've watched the first movie at least 20+ times over the years.  Also, if you confuse which movie I mean by first then you aren't a true Star Wars fan :P

Speaking of which, all dyed in the wool star wars fans should immediately download the Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 RPGs for your computer and get the mods to fix all the bugs.  They're simply amazing.

by sawolf on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 06:40:39 PM PST

•  I prefer Star Trek to Star Wars. (2+ / 0-)
        James Allen, MichaelNY
        •  I'm watching DS9 right now (3+ / 0-)
          Audrid, LordMike, Silvan Elf

my girlfriend likes to watch it to fall asleep to.

by James Allen on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 07:27:51 PM PST

•  DS9 is fantastic (4+ / 0-)
            Audrid, LordMike, Silvan Elf, ehstronghold

Easily the best series.

Keeper of the DKE glossary. Priceless: worth a lot; not for sale.

by SaoMagnifico on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 08:13:50 PM PST

•  Ds9 (3+ / 0-)
              Audrid, LordMike, Silvan Elf

Def the best, but I wouldn't say easily.  TNG is pretty amazing in its own right.

31/D/M/NY-01/SSP: Tekzilla

by Socks The Cat on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 08:16:45 PM PST

•  TNG has Patrick Stewart. (1+ / 0-)
                LordMike

You can't go wrong with Patrick Stewart.

Ordinarily, I'd say something about Wil Wheaton, but...

•  TNG was pretty poor, IMO... (1+ / 0-)
                KingofSpades

Although the show got significantly better after they kicked Roddenberry out.  TNG was simply way too uptight and stuffy and the uniforms were awful.  What is it about the future that makes people stop wearing shirts and pants?  Can you imagine wearing one of those ridiculous unitards?  The special effects were certainly revolutionary for the day, but the computer generated effects were pretty wanting even by 1980's standards.  It was too early to try the CGI stuff.  A lot of the show ended up looking like the PC game of Wing Commander. I didn't like the design of the "new" Enterprise, either.  I guess I'm pretty old school, having grown up with the TOS.  Patrick Stewart was really the key to holding that series together, which he did admirably.  Without him, the show would have died out as quickly as Star Trek Phase 2 did in the 70's.

DS9 was definitely the best of the "new" Trek by far, probably because it broke all the Roddenberry "goody two shoes" rules.  Garik was my favorite character.  He reminds me of Romney, only more honest and with more class.

GODSPEED TO THE WISCONSIN FOURTEEN!

by LordMike on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 09:13:37 PM PST

•  At least they ditched the Spandex... (2+ / 0-)
                  LordMike, KingofSpades

Before too long. Though the late-period DS9 uniforms were way better than anything anyone ever wore on TNG.

Keeper of the DKE glossary. Priceless: worth a lot; not for sale.

by SaoMagnifico on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 09:34:33 PM PST

•  I enjoyed the later TNG (1+ / 0-)
                  LordMike

after it hit its stride.  The episode "I, Borg" was good.  As was the "Best of Both Worlds" two-parter.  "Q-Pid" was fun.  I enjoyed the "Redemption" two-parter and the two-parter with Ambassador Spock (done in memorial of Gene Roddenberry).

As for TOS, I liked that too.  "The Way to Eden"'s space hippies stick out in my memory.  "Spock's Brain" was memoriable too.

by KingofSpades on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 10:47:20 PM PST

•  Funny, you picked what is considered to be... (2+ / 0-)
                    Audrid, KingofSpades

...the two worst TOS episodes ever, both in the cash starved third season.  Although, I never understood why people hated Spock's Brian so much.  I've read that Nimoy almost quit over that episode, 'cos he thought it was so bad.   It's one of my favorites.  Apparently, we are not alone, since it always showed up in the fan selected Star Trek marathons that a local TV station would put up every year during my youth--10 of the most popular episodes picked by local fans who sent in a postcard.

GODSPEED TO THE WISCONSIN FOURTEEN!

by LordMike on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 06:01:40 AM PST

•  it's my favorite and I love Garak, too. (6+ / 0-)

However, TNG had its place.  It was supposed to be more like the original, and they explored social and political ideas like the original, which DS9 didn't really do as much of (aside from the Bajorans).  While DS9 had great episodes like "In the Pale Moonlight" that were breaking the rules, TNG had great episodes like "Birthright" that were more traditional for Trek.

by James Allen on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 06:42:30 AM PST

•  TNG probably did produce... (2+ / 0-)
                    James Allen, KingofSpades

The very best standalone episodes. The likes of "Tapestry", "The Inner Light", and "Darmok" spring immediately to mind.

Keeper of the DKE glossary. Priceless: worth a lot; not for sale.

by SaoMagnifico on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 12:02:00 PM PST

•  another related weakness, though (4+ / 0-)

nearly all episodes really were standalone.  They'd warp into a star system where there was a problem and solve it within 44 minutes, usually by doing something weird with their deflector or ejecting the warp core (copied in everything since, even the last movie which was supposed to be a new kind of trek), then warp out and on to the next episode.

DS9 is the only one which really had an arc throughout most of the series, which is another reason I enjoyed it more.

/nerdingout

by James Allen on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 12:15:09 PM PST

•  I liked "Darmok" too. (1+ / 0-)
                      Audrid

I also liked Picard's policy and ethics.  Like when they encountered the Crystalline Entity (a massive being that consumes life by the planet-load by converting organic matter into energy), Picard said when they nearly encountered it on the Enterprise: "So long as we are in no immediate danger, I believe the Crystalline Entity has as much right to be here as we do.  I don't deny it may be necessary to fire upon it, but I view that as a last resort."
                      Another example is when they had an issue with a rogue Starfleet captain who was attacking Cardassian satellites because he thought they contained long-range weapons, risking all-out war with the Cardassian Empire.  Picard got him under control and managed to settle the issue with the Cardassians, but upon learning that they were harboring illegal weapons on one of the destroyed freighters, he gave the Cardassian commander a firm and subtle warning, saying: "Just remember, Commander, we are watching."

I also loved how in "I, Borg" that Picard and Guinan made their peace with what the Borg did to them in the past (thus making his irrational hatred against the Borg in "Star Trek: First Contact" out of character).  And he had the opportunity to destroy the collective once and for all, but didn't do so, because he knew better than to commit genocide against a race.

by KingofSpades on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 12:42:56 PM PST

•  It's certainly better than Voyager. (0+ / 0-)
            •  DS9 (1+ / 0-)
              Audrid

had the best battles of the entire Star Trek series by far. Nothing better than seeing two Galaxy class starships curbstomp a Galor at the Battle of Bajor.

It's a shame that the team blew most of their special effects budget on the Battle of Bajor and had to resort to recycling shots for the battle at the series finale.

Also the writers didn't care to mention the USS Enterprise at all. We had to see Star Trek Insurrection and that episode of Voyager when Troi helped Barkley figure out what happened to his hologram program to figure out what the Enterprise was doing during the war.

The Republican party is now an extreme right-wing party that is owned by their billionaire campaign contributors. - Bernie Sanders

by ehstronghold on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 01:21:34 PM PST

•  Me too (1+ / 0-)
          DCCyclone

But Star Wars had incredible special effects for its time.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 10:31:34 PM PST

•  Meh (3+ / 0-)
      Audrid, KingofSpades, DCCyclone

give me Battlestars instead. We're gonna need them when we eventually colonize space in the next 2,000 or so years.

by ehstronghold on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 06:53:44 PM PST

•  Clearly, Obama wants to cripple (5+ / 0-)

America's military.

And his "No destroying planets" plank clearly means he is not serious about national security.

•  Oh god (2+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY, LordMike

that response is chock full of win.

by HoosierD42 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 12:25:35 AM PST

•  MI-SD 27 (5+ / 0-)

Michigan Senate District 27, based in Flint, was opened up when conserva-dem John Gleason was elected Genessee County clerk halfway through his senate term.  Governor Snyder has called for a May 7th special election (and March 12 primary if necessary).

Being that this is based in Flint, the real election will be in the primary if there is one.  The challenge is finding a progressive with enough name recognition and/or money to mount a campaign on such short notice.  It'd be awesome if Flint mayor Dayne Walling ran, but as a mayor, he doesn't strike me as someone wanting to play a game in a 26-12 minority in the senate for the next two years, if even he's been largely neutured by Flint's emergency manager.

•  Jim Ananich (1+ / 0-)

State Rep Jim Ananich already announced that he is running. I think he is by far the favorite to win. I haven't heard names for who might replace him in the state house though.

M, 23, School: MI-12, Home: NY-18

by slacks on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 11:38:36 PM PST

•  Candidate (1+ / 0-)
      MetroGnome

State Rep. Woodrow Stanley announced that he is running for the seat.

•  You know (1+ / 0-)
        BeloitDem

I know Flint hated this guy enough to recall him in 2002 - maybe, it was a race thing, I really don't know how the vote split in the recall - but I've been impressed by this guy every time I've heard him speak, and he's spent his time building back up his career into something quite impressive.  And, in the face of continued meddling (read: cutting) with revenue sharing with local governments - which, BTW, is a far greater contributor to sending already struggling towns into "emergencies" than people realize - I'm all for getting more mayors into the legislature, which is why I brought up Walling to begin with.

Stanley or Ananich are miles more progressive than Gleason, so, so far, so good.

•  Rumor re: MO-8 (6+ / 0-)

off of Twitter

Hearing on good info that major state dem figures are urging major bootheel agri businessman & major Nixon donor Barry Aycock to enter #MO8
    Probably mild to just call him a major Jay Nixon donor, since his 2011/12 donations of $83K went to Nixon and all sorts of statewide Dems.

So his bio from his company's site:

Barry is respected nationally for his insight, instinct, and agricultural know-how. His entrepreneurship began while he was attending college. In 1995, he started his first business as a cotton consultant. His acreage increased rapidly and his customers gained record yields. Word spread and in 1996, he was awarded the National Cotton Consultant of the Year.

That attention didn’t stop within the US borders.  Barry was sought out by the Bolivian government to help solve a national epidemic – they needed to increase their agriculture productivity to meet the needs of their population.  Barry moved to Bolivia to work closely with farmers and officials. While there he helped restore their hope and he left with knowledge that can’t be taught in a classroom.

Barry brought that knowledge back to the U.S. and formed AgXplore in 1999. AgXplore began with a handpicked team that thrived on innovative technology. While the company has flourished, the core value that Barry set years ago remains the same - people matter.

So in the echelons of candidates for a red district, a guy who has some ability to support himself and has connections is probably better than a random name. So hopefully he, or someone of a similar profile, can be persuaded to take on MO8. It'll be a fun Spring, at the very minimum, for whoever takes it on. No matter what the vote total winds up. Gotta look at the upside.

Plus, the Rs could nominate someone reeeeeeally crazy too. They had a forum last night and this tweet summarizes their events:

#MO8 committeewoman: "I killed a squirrel for breakfast this morning." Now tell us what you think about gun control
    Runnerup moment: the probable R frontrunner saying that "Assault weapon… is a term used by suburban soccer moms who do not understand what is being discussed"

The Republican Party isn't a party of small government, it's a party of a government for the few. @bhindepmo

by RBH on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 07:11:45 PM PST

•  A hefty challenge would be nice. (4+ / 0-)
      James Allen, drhoosierdem, jj32, MichaelNY

Though the only part he can count on as a definite vote is the bootheel region.  I would kinda like Kinder to run to open up the Lt. Gov. office.  And an open state office tends to slightly favor the Dem in MO (see SoS, although Kander was strong).

by KingofSpades on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 07:16:03 PM PST

•  part of that relies on (3+ / 0-)
        drhoosierdem, KingofSpades, MichaelNY

the Rs in the legislature being on their game enough to pass a change to that law by April. Which is not a sure bet. For all we know, they'll try to wrap that law into a bill with voter ID and all sorts of other election pet projects.

You may say "if they don't pass that, they're incompetent". Well, they also failed to move their Presidential primary from February to March and held a primary that didn't count.

But this guy is from one of the Bootheel counties, i'm sure he could win the areas of the district that really like their Cotton.

As for the probabilities if there's a special election for Lt. Gov. Depends on if they nominate someone who could be a candidate for Governor in 2016, or someone who is crazy and easy to define.

by RBH on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 07:27:01 PM PST

•  Your first blockquote, I thought it said... (2+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY, sapelcovits

..."brothel businessman" at first glance.

And I was excited.

Then I read more carefully that he's just in agriculture.

Oh well.

44, male, Indian-American, married and proud father of a girl and 2 boys, Democrat, VA-10

by DCCyclone on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 06:55:31 PM PST

•  NJ Sen (6+ / 0-)

Lautenberg may be retiring. His office denies a decision has been made though. H/T RRH.

•  Speculative NHL relocations (7+ / 0-)

Florida Panthers & Columbus Blue Jackets ---> Hartford & Quebec City

Nashville Predators ---> Milwaukee

Phoenix Coyotes ---> Seattle

Gary Bettman is one of the worst commissioners that the big four North American sports league has ever had. Canada should have some more hockey teams, thats where a big chucnk of the NHL base is.

Either Florida or Columbus goes to Quebec and the other one goes to Hartford. And I cant think of any name you would call those new teams except the Whalers and the Nordiques. Keep the other team in Florida, Tampa Lightning cause they've been much more successful, and plus you have alot of people from Canadian that are not just visiting Florida, but are now living there, becoming US citizens in the process.

Nashville is another horrible market. Hockey in the South with the exception of Dallas and Tampa is a failure. Just look at Atlanta for further proof. Milwaukee would be a great market. That will create an instant rivalry with Minnesota and Chicago.

Phoenix should had never had a hockey team to begin with. Either they go to Seattle which is a great sports town. There gonna be a new stadium built with the Sonics back. Or some city in Canada.

Moderate Progressive, Born in Cairo, Raised in NY-11, Living in NJ-13.

by BKGyptian89 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 08:21:56 PM PST

•  where else in Canada? (0+ / 0-)

Agreed about hockey in the south. If not Quebec City, what other towns that don't have teams do you think are big enough in Canada to support a team out of curiosity?

OH-1 (born and raised ), MN-2 (college), CA-53 (grad school), IA-2 (postdoc)

by aamail6 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 12:13:46 AM PST

•  They can always find a market up there (1+ / 0-)
        DownstateDemocrat

if not Quebec City then Hamilton will be another option. Phoenix was always linked with a move there, but Bettman and the league stopped it. Winnepeg just got the Jets back last year. So that makes it 7. But they should relocate some franchises to states where hockey is popular. Wisconsin, and have another team in New England instead of just being Boston.

Moderate Progressive, Born in Cairo, Raised in NY-11, Living in NJ-13.

by BKGyptian89 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 01:04:43 AM PST

•  A team (0+ / 0-)

outside of Toronto in Hamilton, Ontario.

•  Saskatoon. (0+ / 0-)

No, really.  After seeing the reaction to the return of the Jets in Winnipeg, it might be feasible (and profitable) to put a NHL team in Credit Union Centre.

Would people come?  There's a good chance, if people in Saskatchewan adopted the team -- along with Saskatchewan 'ex-pats' now residing and working in neighbouring Alberta.  Even if you can't sell as many seats (I think the CUC only holds 15,000 - max), merchandise sales would be pretty brisk.

If you don't believe that it's possible, just Google "Rider Nation."  That whole province is nuts for their CFL football team.

There be no shelter, here. The front line is everywhere.

by Wisewood on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 05:22:20 PM PST

•  Absolutely shocked WI doesn't have an NHL team (0+ / 0-)

There's quite the college hockey scene in Madison, and Milwaukee would be a great market for a professional hockey team.

Illinois can simply not support a second NHL team...the Blackhawks are an institution in Chicago, and the St. Louis Blues have a sizable fan base in Illinois as well.

I'm not sure how well Indianapolis would be suited to an NHL team, but, at first glance, it would seem to be well-suited.

Progressive activist and lifelong resident of Vermilion County, Illinois IL-15/IL-SD-52/IL-HD-104

by DownstateDemocrat on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 01:26:36 AM PST

•  I thought Quebec couldn't support its last team? (0+ / 0-)

I vaguely recall Quebec lost its team in the first place because as a small government city it couldn't financially support the franchise in the modern era.

I can't imagine anything has changed.

Hartford, too, was awfully small for the team it had.

I'd be very surprised if these towns regained teams.  They're like Green Bay, that town is lucky it hung on to its NFL franchise into the modern era because they would never get a team there today.

by DCCyclone on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 07:03:54 PM PST

•  Early (4+ / 0-)

but I wonder if Jay Nixon would consider a U.S. Senate run in 2016 challenging Roy Blunt in Missouri

•  I hope so (4+ / 0-)

he's the only one that can beat him.

Moderate Progressive, Born in Cairo, Raised in NY-11, Living in NJ-13.

by BKGyptian89 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 08:40:54 PM PST

•  That would be an epic race. (3+ / 0-)
      KingofSpades, MichaelNY, lordpet8
    •  I'm skeptical (1+ / 0-)

These very popular red-state Governors don't like to tarnish their images with tough federal races they fear they would lose.  People like Bredeson in Tennessee, Moore and Hood in Mississippi, Henry in Oklahoma, and Freudenthal in Wyoming would rather hang it up and leave popular then take their chances in tough Senate races where they'd be more tied to a national party unpopular in their states.

So as much as it would help us if they ran, I doubt people like Nixon or Steve Beshear will ever be on a U.S. Senate ballot.  I'd be thrilled to be wrong.

by DCCyclone on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 07:06:38 PM PST

•  Missouri is less red (3+ / 0-)

than the other states you mention. That's the difference. I think Beshear could have a chance in KY, and conceivably Bredesen in TN, if he ever decided to run for an open seat. The others would have very little chance at all.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 07:26:36 PM PST

•  I agree they would have a GREAT chance, BUT... (3+ / 0-)
          MichaelNY, James Allen, redrelic17

...they would be locked in tough races that likely wouldn't be any better than tossups.

That's the problem, it's too easy for a Democrat, any Democrat, to lose a U.S. Senate race in a conservative state.  Not much has to go wrong for our guy to lose.  And they know that.

I could foresee an exception perhaps if Rand Paul gets himself in hot water going forward and Beshear is still hungry to be in the game and also smells blood.  Paul is the kind of Senator who could be in trouble simply because his politics are pretty eccentric and he won't compromise them very much...although he's compromised them at least in dishonest rhetoric far more than his dad ever did.  But Rand Paul is never more than one or two unpopular votes away from being very vulnerable to the right Democrat.

by DCCyclone on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 09:06:14 PM PST

•  One big difference (2+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY, BeloitDem

Nixon has run for the Senate before (twice, in fact), none of those other guys you mentioned have. I'm not sure if he'd be interested in a third bid, but he's much more likely than any of the other possible red-state (former) Governors.

•  Actually I think Beshear ran for Senate... (3+ / 0-)
          MichaelNY, James Allen, sapelcovits

...a very long time ago, in the 90s or perhaps even the 80s.

He was a struggling pol until the Fletcher scandal opened the door for him to give high elective office one last try, and it worked out and now he's wildly popular.

But ultimately having run for Senate before doesn't necessarily matter in guessing these guys' thinking, once they've been popular Governors that easily changes everything for them going forward.  They just might not want to risk their popularity and legacy with a losing Senate run in a tough state.

by DCCyclone on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 09:02:39 PM PST

•  Didn't Beshear run back in the day (0+ / 0-)

I thought he also ran before, that being said I agree I don't think he'll run again and Nixon is more likely...

OH-1 (born and raised ), MN-2 (college), CA-53 (grad school), IA-2 (postdoc)

by aamail6 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 09:47:54 PM PST

•  Stargate watching advice (2+ / 0-)
    KingofSpades, Silvan Elf

I'm currently most of the way through season 6 of SG-1. I know some other people here have watched the show. When I get to season 8, is it worth it to try to watch Atlantis concurrently (or alternating seasons), or should I just finish SG-1 and then watch Atlantis?

•  In California (3+ / 0-)
    MichaelNY, lordpet8, KingofSpades

is Jerry Brown going to run for re-election? Democrats have a heck of a bench with Kamala Harris, Gavin Newsome, Antonio Villaraigosa, and Hilda Solis

•  Ah Cali! a Democrat utopia (3+ / 0-)
      LordMike, MichaelNY, KingofSpades

I Jerry Brown has a supermajority for the first in the history of that state if I'm not mistaken. He should run again. If not I'll like to Newsome run, and I like Harris to run for Boxer's seat in '16. assuming she retires. Harris is a hell of a looker I thought I might add.

Moderate Progressive, Born in Cairo, Raised in NY-11, Living in NJ-13.

by BKGyptian89 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 09:41:30 PM PST

•  If Brown runs again he wins big (8+ / 0-)

With the news out yesterday of a possible surplus in the state budget for the 2013-2014 budget year if that materializes and he runs again, it's a blowout. The Republicans have zero on the bench here and after Whitman's loss in 2010, it's unlikely a super rich businessperson takes the plunge. My prediction is he gets around 67-70 percent, a big jump up from Feinstein's 62.5 in 2012 against a Who Dat. Fixing the state budget here is a big fucking deal.

29, M, Swingnut, CA-38 resident. Chairman of the DKE Ginger Left-handed caucus. Huge Angels, Lakers, Bruins, Kings, Galaxy fan. Follow me on Twitter: @Artesialove

by uclabruin18 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 09:56:45 PM PST

•  He should run (3+ / 0-)
          MichaelNY, LordMike, KingofSpades

that's an F'n hell of an achievment to turn that state budget and fiscal crises around. Tje California GOP is no different from the New Jersey's GOP. I equate them to emptied abandoned warehouse that you'll see here on the edges of Newark or Jersey City.

I don't what you'll equate the CAGOP to.

Moderate Progressive, Born in Cairo, Raised in NY-11, Living in NJ-13.

by BKGyptian89 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 10:05:50 PM PST

•  NJ GOP is doing miles better than CA GOP (2+ / 0-)
            MichaelNY, DCCyclone

They have the Gov (and lt Gov)  and a tied house delegation.

CA GOP is doing as about well as the Oklahoma Dems are.

"Unfortunately when the Republican party needs to be a big tent party it seems to me we are doing everything we can to become a pup tent party. " — Virginia Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling (R)

by lordpet8 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 01:28:27 PM PST

•  And an independent redistricting (0+ / 0-)

commission that almost always seems to side with them.

•  Not necessarily. (1+ / 0-)

In '91, the tiebreaker (Alan Rosenthal, who reprised his role in '01 and '11 just for the legislative maps) sided with Republicans on both the legislative and Cong. maps.  The result was Democrats being thrust deep into the minority for the decade.  In '01, he sided with Democrats on both maps, throwing us back up to the majority and keeping two-three GOP-held seats potentially competitive.  In '11, we got our legislative maps, but another tiebreaker chosen for the Cong. maps (Rosenthal has had enough) sided with the Republicans.  The result was Dems having a favorable legislative map, but losing a Cong. district, and are now down to only 2 potentially competitive GOP-held seats and making them 0.5% less Dem.  The issue with the GOP-held seats is they have incumbents, which are hard to move in New Jersey (we love incumbents).

by KingofSpades on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 02:59:19 PM PST

•  Did Rosenthal quit (1+ / 0-)

Or did Christie force him out, as I had been led to believe?

by HoosierD42 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 04:12:51 PM PST

•  Christie put duress on him during the process (2+ / 0-)
                    MichaelNY, HoosierD42

and after it as well by hurting his fellowship program.  Rosenthal was bullied one-on-one with Christie to accept the GOP's legislative map (Governors don't get involved because they usually have at least one loyalist in the commission), which he rejected.  Christie couldn't force him out, he just hated being put under heavy pressure and being informally "punished."

by KingofSpades on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 04:42:32 PM PST

•  they also have (1+ / 0-)

way more than 1/3 of each house in the legislature.

Living in Kyoto-06 (Japan), voting in RI-01, went to college in IL-01.

by sapelcovits on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 02:26:20 PM PST

•  Repubs only have exactly 40% of each house (2+ / 0-)
                MichaelNY, lordpet8

Not exactly "way more," but that's splitting hairs.  Also, NJ Republicans are less destructive than CA Republicans.

by KingofSpades on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 03:01:25 PM PST

•  not that high (4+ / 0-)

Brown won't get that much unless the GOP puts up a complete nut. Feinstein's win was the biggest margin any statewide candidate got going back to at least 2002, and the midterm voter pool should be at least a shade more conservative than the 2012 pool. Emken would probably get 38-39% against Brown, someone with more money would likely break 40.

SSP poster. 43, new CA-6, -0.25/-3.90

by sacman701 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 11:09:28 AM PST

•  Calitics on being back in the black: (1+ / 0-)
          Zack from the SFV

by KingofSpades on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 12:54:56 PM PST

•  not first in the state (3+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY, KingofSpades, jncca

Dems had the super majority way back in the gilded age when Democrats briefly ruled the state. 1884 was the last time Dems had super-majority trifecta.

by lordpet8 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 01:44:30 AM PST

•  I suspect he will. (5+ / 0-)
      uclabruin18, jj32, LordMike, MichaelNY, jncca

I feel like he thinks being Governor is one long project and there's a laundry list of things he wants to do.

by KingofSpades on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 10:22:48 PM PST

•  I think so (4+ / 0-)

He seems to be in decent shape. He won a tax increase this past November, and if that budget surplus materializes as predicted next year, he will probably cruise to re-election.

•  Seeing as Prop 30 passed and the fact (2+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY, askew

that his party has super majorities in the legislature, I see no reason for him to throw in the towel barring any health concerns.

by lordpet8 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 01:42:03 AM PST

•  Gov. Brown has seriously impressed me (7+ / 0-)

I was sort of thinking at the time of the election, "Meh, Atty. Gen. Brown > Meg Whitman, I'm sure," but his administration has been one of the best in the entire country -- probably second only to the Kitzhaber administration in neighboring Oregon for its remarkable ability to accelerate economic growth, break through ancient logjams, and inspire confidence in the governing process in a place where such starry-eyed optimism had been long dead.

Keeper of the DKE glossary. Priceless: worth a lot; not for sale.

by SaoMagnifico on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 11:57:55 AM PST

•  2016 NH-Sen (1+ / 0-)
    dufffbeer

Kelly Ayotte won in a fluke (a large one). She has proved that she is far too conservative for this blue-trending state (and so help me God she even THINKS of the term "Benghazi" again!). I would prefer Gov. Maggie Hassan or either Rep take her on (assuming they all win second terms, or fourth in Porter's case), but would be okay with former Gov. Lynch, seeing that he remains extremely popular.

Barbara Buono for NJ Governor 2013, Terry McAuliffe for VA Governor 2013

by interstate73 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 09:11:47 PM PST

•  I'm working on a new Texas diary (1+ / 0-)
    KingofSpades

But I'd like to get a community consensus and help here before I finish up.

I need some turnout estimates for the state broken out by ethnic group. If anyone has access to any study done on turnout among registered voters (again, that is broken out by race/ethnic group) that would be a very big help to me.

23 Burkean Post Modern Gay Democrat; NM-2 (Raised), TX-20 (B.A. & M.A. in Political Science), TX-17 (Home); 08/12 PVIs

by wwmiv on Fri Jan 11, 2013 at 09:40:59 PM PST

•  Weekend Tune (0+ / 0-)

by lordpet8 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 01:18:08 AM PST

•  WI-Gov: Another update on Draft Barca movement (1+ / 0-)

Sara Johann, the organizer of the Draft Barca movement, said this about the recent attention that I helped bring to the Draft Barca movement:

Thank you, Lisa! As you probably are aware, this group was begun in 2011 with the purpose of urging Peter Barca to run for governor in the RECALL against Scott Walker. We have converted it to an effort to encourage Peter to run for Governor in 2014. As for not being affiliated with Peter Barca, let me say this. Peter was and has always been aware of this group's existence. I am the main administrator on the site and, as you know, I assisted Peter Barca in recruiting assembly candidates in 2012 (through the Herding Cats site), then spent the 6 months prior to the Nov. 6 election promoting our assembly candidates through photography, through advice to candidates, and through promotions here on Facebook, among other things. I keep in regular contact with Rep. Barca to this day.
    Johann thanked Wisconsin progressive blogger Lisa Mux for writing this blog post mentioning DKE's mention of the Draft Barca movement after I had stumbled upon the Facebook group and made a mention of it in the comments section of the previous day's DKE live digest.

by DownstateDemocrat on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 01:43:43 AM PST

•  so you are Lisa Mux (2+ / 0-)
      BeloitDem, HoosierD42

that explains a lot...

Living in Kyoto-06 (Japan), voting in RI-01, went to college in IL-01.

by sapelcovits on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 05:10:51 AM PST

•  No, I'm not (1+ / 0-)

My name is Aaron Camp.

Lisa Mux, is a progressive blogger from Waukesha, Wisconsin who I talk to online quite a bit. Mux read Thursday's DKE live digest, which featured a mention of the Draft Barca movement, and she blogged about it at her blog, Waukesha Wonk. In the comments section of Wednesday's DKE live digest, I mentioned the Draft Barca movement.

I'm not Lisa Mux, and I apologize for any confusion.

by DownstateDemocrat on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 05:32:14 AM PST

•  The CA Burtonmander of 1982 (7+ / 0-)

Just thought I'd share this awesome fact with everyone

Phil Burton, displaying his genius once again, took command of the California map making and - by putting his own seat and those of other secure Democrats more at risk - helped turn the state's 22 to 21 Democratic split into a 28 to 17 Democratic advantage, despite a million dollar, computerized GOP campaign designed to foil him.

"As we ran around with all of our computer sheets - we were going to show him - he'd whip out a Mobil gasoline station map and a crayon" - Reagan aide Ed Rollins remembered.

-Tip O'Neill and the democratic century

The maps lasted all the way till the 1990 elections, So even though Reagan carried the state by 57% in 1984 the state gave Democrats 62% of the house seats

by lordpet8 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 02:03:00 AM PST

•  Supposedly, Frank Lautenberg (2+ / 0-)
    LordMike, MichaelNY

not running for reelection.

•  Does anyone remember the episode of "House" (1+ / 0-)
    KingofSpades

with the African-American U.S. Senator from New Jersey who went to Yale Law?

27, Dem, Dude seeing a dude, CT-04(originally), PA-02/NY-10 (formerly PA-02/NY-12, then PA-02/NY-14).

by Xenocrypt on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 11:23:03 AM PST

•  MO-08: Peter Kinder sure has a way with words (5+ / 0-)
    “Assault weapons is a misused term,” Kinder said, “used by suburban soccer moms who do not understand what is being discussed here.”

I hope we can score a half-way decent challenge here, regardless of the odds.

by KingofSpades on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 12:58:09 PM PST

•  A little concerned by the recruitment process (0+ / 0-)

Democratic side:

I hope to see all the Democratic incumbents running again, except maybe F Lautenberg and P Quinn. Until now, between the new people, no-one of the most important potential candidates is running:

Also, a good number of the top-names rejected a bid:

NM-Gov: J Bingaman
    WV-Sen: J Rockefeller
    PA-Gov: K Kane (leaving E Rendell for the senate)
    OH-Gov: T Strickland
    MA-Gov: D Patrick

That let on the top of my list:

NV-Gov: B Miller
    AZ-Gov: J Napolitano (I have not trouble if she continues in the Cabinet)
    IL-Gov: L Madigan (leaving M Obama for the senate)
    NJ-Sen: ??????????
    MA-Sen or MA-Gov: J Kennedy II
    WI-Gov: R Feingold (leaving J Doyle for the senate)
    ME-Sen: C Pingree
    FL-Gov: C Crist or A Sink

Few of them seems close to run. The polls for NJ seems crazy, and I know not who would be the best candidate at this point.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Republican side:

The Republicans also need all their incumbents running, except maybe R Scott. Between the new people they have some success in the recruitment:

WV-Sen: S Capito
    SD-Sen: M Rounds

But they have also some important failure:

LA-Sen: B Jindal
    SC-Sen: J DeMint

And this let in the list of doubts that I fear most:

AK-Sen: S Parnell
    NC-Sen: P McCrory
    FL-Gov: J Bush
    MT-Sen: M Racicot
    AZ-Gov: J Kyl
    VA-Gov: J Kilgore
    AR-Sen: M Huckabee

The Republicans seems to have still more room to improve their recruitment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a little concerned because the Democratic party is doing the recruitment a little worse than the Republicans. I hope that improve.

•  I think it's a bit much to ask Kane (5+ / 0-)
      redrelic17, jncca, sawolf, MichaelNY, DCCyclone

to run just after being elected to AG.

In Arizona I think Carmona is actually stronger than Napolitano.

by James Allen on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 02:33:50 PM PST

•  Much stronger (3+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY, NMLib, James Allen

Just going off of PPP's polling, Carmona's final pre-election numbers were 40/43 fav/unfav while Napolitano's were 40/55 in early 2011.

by sawolf on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 02:43:18 PM PST

•  surely you are right about Kane (0+ / 0-)

but she appears as the strongest option after Rendell in the polls. Still, we see two close cases in Ohio and New Mexico the last cycle in the Republican side.

About Arizona it is not easy to compare, but my numerical works show Flake a lot weaker than Kyl, McCain or Brewer. Napolitano has some recent bad poll but was vs Kyl, and not vs Flake. It is an important difference.

•  Running for Senate (2+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY, abgin

midway through your first term as Governor might not play so well.

•  Seriously man, this list is kind of weird... (3+ / 0-)
      jncca, MichaelNY, DCCyclone

Jeff Bingaman was never an option for running for governor, I don't know why any list would even bother putting him on there. But we have a solid recruit in Gary King, that's pretty good.

Rockefeller was in trouble, him retiring is probably a good thing, not a bad thing at this point. I don't think Rockefeller would have held on any more.

Massachusetts is a deep bench, even if Republicans get Scott Brown to run for governor, we're still in good shape to keep the governor's mansion.

We've fought over this before, but no one prominent on the Democratic side will run unless Susan Collins retires. If she retires, we have that seat in the bag (unless Eliot Cutler decides to run, at which point, it might not be a bad idea to cede the senate seat to him, but I'm willing to wait and see).

Florida has term limits, so Jeb Bush running is something of a moot point.

Politics and more Formerly DGM on SSP. NM-01, 26 (chairman of the Atheist Caucus)

by NMLib on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 03:05:13 PM PST

•  You are missing the point of my comment (1+ / 0-)
        James Allen

And I dislike you use words like weird.

You can close the eyes to the reality if you want. But the reality is that there is not a Democrat free in NM with stronger support of the people than J Bingaman, and to have not him in the race for governor cause a damage to the options of the Democratic Party in the race and in overall terms.

The listed candidates have a proved strength over other candidates of the own party in their home states. I tell not if they would have an easy or difficult bid. But they would make a difference for the own party in terms of making the race easy in some cases or in terms of making the race only competitive in other cases. Even J Rockfeller, I forget not the polls Capito vs Tomblin of 2011.

And the result of this is also clear in the real world. In the case of NM, we have S Martinez leading by 12 in the polls over a weaker Democratic candidate than Bingaman. Still I think it is a winnable race, but I dislike the fact that will be necessary a lot more of money without Bingaman.

About the term limits of Florida, if Im not wrong there are for two consecutive four year terms.

It is the time of the recruitment. It is the time to find the strongest candidates that make easier the races for the Democratic party can save resources for other races. And  I think it is also the time to look at the other side for knowing if they are doing better or not. With the spirit of improving.

•  I stand by what I said (2+ / 0-)
          jncca, MichaelNY

The list is weird, I'm sorry you don't like that I use that term, but I don't apologize for using it, I think it fits.

It's not realistic to look at Jeff Bingaman in the light of running for governor, he has never, at any point shown any possible interest in being governor, and he retired because he didn't want to be in public office anymore (actually, Chuck Schumer had to drag him back kicking and screaming back in 2006). Democrats have a top-tier candidate in Gary King (incumbent Attorney General, and very popular statewide) and he's the strongest candidate that Democrats could realistically get. Any list that doesn't recognize that is not valid, period.

In Florida, something that could hypothetically happen is nice, but I don't know in what universe one could ever expect Florida Republicans to ever convince Jeb Bush, who doesn't seem to have any eye for running for anything at all, to mount a primary challenge to a sitting governor.

Since we have those two, I'm wondering why you don't think it's a massive recruitment failure that Republicans didn't get Olympia Snowe to mount a primary challenge to Paul LePage...

by NMLib on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 05:42:07 PM PST

•  Hmm... (4+ / 0-)

Mike Huckabee for Senate...a.k.a Mark Pryor cakewalks to reelection.

•  Huckabee is no longer popular in AR? n/t (3+ / 0-)
        shigeru, Zack from the SFV, gabjoh

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 03:44:05 PM PST

•  I don't think he lives in AR anymore, (3+ / 0-)

he's out of touch with the modern Republican base (population trends, fiscal liberalism and the like), and he's made some pretty outrageous statements since he left the governor position.

•  outrageous? (1+ / 0-)
            James Allen

It is interesting. And good for Pryor and the Democratic Party. This would be the trouble of the Republicans. I will be not defending his chance. But I fear him in the race.

The last (numeric) news that we have about Huckabee in Arkansas are form the Republican primary of 2008, where he performed well winning the state with more than a 60% of the vote and taking all the delegates of the state.

In overall terms it is very interesting like a good number of Republicans forget the interest of his own party and are reading more to bids for president, leaving to the Democratic side some important offices in their home states.

•  You are using data from four years ago.. (2+ / 0-)
              MichaelNY, James Allen

That's a problem. Four years ago, Blanche Lincoln was still in the Senate, the Democrats had a 3/4 majority in the state legislature and Mike Huckabee was the only Republican of note in the state (Boozman was never that visible until 2010.

Since 2008, new voters have emerged in Arkansas, mainly in Saline County, Garland County, Washington County, and Benton County. Most of them were not here during Huckabee's time as governor and only know and like people like Tim Griffin or Steve Womack. The Durmond/Clemency pardons have not helped Huckabee's image within the state, nor his support of Todd Akin, nor his lack of support for Delta residents. Not to mention that the guy was accused by the Club for Growth of supporting five tax increases, and increasing state spending by 65 million dollars. Randy Minton, a former Arkansas State Legislator and Republican claimed that Huckabee's support for constant taxes split the party and probably caused a five-eight year delay of them gaining power. The Cato Institute gave him a "D" for his two terms as governor.

Point is, Huckabee is a disaster. If he gets through the primary, Mark Pryor will easily take 65% in Little Rock and probably do a bit better in the fiscally conservative, socially apathetic suburbs.

•  Wait a second (1+ / 0-)

You think that it was a failure for Republicans that Jim DeMint resigned or that Moran has failed to recruit DeMint to primary Graham in 2014?

Doyle for Senate would be awful. Didn't he leave really unpopular? How about Ron Kind?

•  WI-Gov 2014/WI-Sen 2016 (2+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY, abgin

Most Wisconsin Democrats are downright scared to take on Scott Walker in 2014, however, he's more vulnerable than most people think he is. Walker is the only Governor of a U.S. state to have a criminal defense fund, several of his former aides were convicted as part of the "John Doe probe", and Walker, while has not yet been charged with any crimes, has not been cleared of any wrongdoing himself. The only elected Democratic official in Wisconsin who appears to be even remotely interested in a run against Scott Walker is Peter Barca, the Minority Leader of the Wisconsin State Assembly. If Barca doesn't run, Wisconsin Democrats will probably have to recruit either a former elected official, such as Jessica King (Jim Doyle is simply not interested in a return to politics), or someone who has never held elected office before, such as Mahlon Mitchell.

Ron Johnson is seen as much more vulnerable in 2016 than Scott Walker is in 2014, and Russ Feingold is reportedly considering running for his old seat. If Russ Feingold doesn't run, expect numerous Democrats to run in a crowded primary field for the right to take on Johnson, in which Johnson's only hope of winning re-election is to draw some ultra-liberal challenger like Melissa Sargent.

I don't give people hell. I speak my mind and conservatives think it's hell.

by DownstateDemocrat on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 09:21:32 PM PST

•  got the Ravens-Broncos game on (4+ / 0-)
    KingofSpades, jncca, James Allen, bfen

Jacoby just made a sorry excuse for a kickoff return. Step it up, dude, you're making the whole board look bad!

SSP poster. 43, new CA-6, -0.25/-3.90

by sacman701 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 01:46:48 PM PST

•  Question. (1+ / 0-)

Does anyone know which parts of Arizona have the largest Mormon populations?

by Xenocrypt on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 03:09:03 PM PST

•  Mesa and Gilbert in Maricopa, along with (2+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY, Xenocrypt

Graham County and the White parts of the Northeast (Apache, Navajo)

20, CA-18 (home), CA-13 (school)
      politicohen.com
      Socially libertarian, moderate on foreign policy, immigration, and crime, liberal on everything else.
      UC Berkeley; I think I'm in the conservative half of this city. -.5.38, -3.23

by jncca on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 03:38:18 PM PST

•  to elaborate (1+ / 0-)

Graham County is the most Mormon county in Arizona but is small.  The Mesa/Gilbert area has been represented by a Mormon in the House for the last 20 years (Coppersmith, Salmon, Flake, Salmon, I think), and the Northeast includes the town of Snowflake, founded by Mr. Snow and Mr. Flake .(an ancestor of Jeff Flake).

20, CA-18 (home), CA-13 (school)
        politicohen.com
        UC Berkeley; I think I'm in the conservative half of this city. -.5.38, -3.23

by jncca on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 05:52:59 PM PST

•  FL Gov: Rick Scott's base rallies for him. (8+ / 0-)
    A group of Florida-based Satanists will be holding a rally in support of the Sunshine State’s Republican Governor Rick Scott on January 25. According to a press release for the event, the Satanic Temple, which organized the rally, will be showing “solidarity” with the governor for his “unwavering fortitude and progressive resolve in his defense of religious liberty,” specifically his approval of a legislation that will allow students to vote on whether or not to include prayers in graduation ceremonies and other school assemblies.

“The Satanic Temple embraces the free expression of religion, and Satanists are happy to show their support of Rick Scott who–particularly with [Senate Bill] 98–has reaffirmed our American freedom to practice our faith openly, allowing our Satanic children the freedom to pray in school,” the group said in a statement announcing the rally.

The lady was enchanted and said they ought to see. So they charged her with subversion and made her watch TV -Spirogyra

by Taget on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 03:12:51 PM PST

•  Obama should pull a Beshear (0+ / 0-)

I've been thinking about how Obama could use appointments to create Democratic pickups or neutralize opponents much like Kentucky's Gov Beshear.

The most obvious choice would be Susan Collins of Maine. Without Collins as the incumbent, that seat becomes a likely pickup.

While Obama's first term appointment of Judd Gregg didn't turn out as planned, Gregg announced his retirement after withdrawing so the nomination may have helped push him out the door.

Collins is a no-brainer but even a Lindsey Graham appointment would have some benefits (like keeping him off Sunday television....maybe that one is mostly beneficial for me).
    Any other suggestions?

27yo. Gay Male. Democrat. WA-09

by VanityFlair on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 03:41:59 PM PST

•  Why do you think he hasn't already tried (3+ / 0-)
      sawolf, LordMike, Zack from the SFV

and been rebuffed?

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 04:05:28 PM PST

•  Looking at the House you have more options (1+ / 0-)
      VanityFlair

It wouldn't surprise me if these people have previously been approached and declined, but in the house the following are in seats we would probably pick up in a special election, assuming the political climate is the same in a few months:
      Dan Benishek
      Tom Reed
      Dave Reichert
      Scott Rigell
      Ileana Ros-Lehtinen
      Frank Wolf
      Bill Young

And some that might lead to pick ups:
      Rick Crawford
      Bill Johnson
      David Joyce
      John Mica
      John Runyan
      Scott Tipton
      David Valadao

I'm sure there are others, but not a whole lot of them look appealing for appointments and I'm sure the best options have already been approached/felt out, as we did to John McHugh.

As far as the senate goes, the following senators would allow our Democratic governor to replace the appointed Republican with a Dem:
      Kelly Ayotte
      Roy Blunt
      John Boozman
      Mark Kirk
      Mitch McConnell
      Rand Paul

While the following senators would see us win the subsequent early election (whether it's a special or earlier cycle general):
      Susan Collins
      Chuck Grassley
      Ron Johnson
      Pat Toomey

And the following are possible:
      Richard Burr
      Dan Coats
      Dean Heller
      Rob Portman
      Marco Rubio

I highly doubt any of these people would be foolish enough or selfish enough to agree to an Obama appointment when it jeopardizes their seat though.

by sawolf on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 04:12:22 PM PST

•  This option would be interesting in some cases (0+ / 0-)

These would be the options that I would consider:

Senate:

- NH K Ayotte
      - IL M Kirk

I would not appoint no-one that would have a Republican appointed succesor.

Governors:

-------------------

The alone option that would have Democratic replacement would be P LePage.

US House:

- CA-31 G Miller

One appointment from a D+1 or worse district can backfire easily sending a new Republican to the House after a special election with low turnout. Too much risk.

Statewide offces:

- WA-SS: K Wyman
      - VT-LG: P Scott
      - IL-SC: J Topinka
      - DE-SA: T Wagner
      - IL-ST: D Rutherford

They would be replaced by Democratic governors and the new appointed officer would have high chance of keeping the seat. The Republicans would lose potential statewide candidates.

•  once upon a time (0+ / 0-)

the Maryland GOP was a party with power.

nowadays, they're reduced to people like this dweeb.

Living in Kyoto-06 (Japan), voting in RI-01, went to college in IL-01.

by sapelcovits on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 04:11:32 PM PST

•  I'm glad he's getting treatment for his problem (3+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY, sapelcovits, jncca

but he needs to resign. I have zero tolerance for people who drive drunk.

Oh, also, I would probably laugh in his face about gay marriage being legal in MD now, but that's just because he's been the loudest homophobic asshole in the general assembly for a long time. I was so disappointed when it looked like he had lost in 2006 but he managed to hang on by a hundred votes or so.

•  TOUCHDOWN JACOBY JONZE!!!!!!!!!!! (1+ / 0-)
    Audrid

White Male, 36, New FL-14 (Castor), proud father of a 4-year-old daughter. "This is Wendy's guys! This is Wendy's!" - Mitt Romney, October 9, 2012.

by spiderdem on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 05:02:22 PM PST

•  question about Frank Lautenberg (0+ / 0-)

is he sort of a less abrasive version of Pete Stark?

By that I mean someone who is very old, hard left ideology, and known for having harsh words for republicans.

RRH expat (known as AquarianLeft). Also known as freepcrusher on leip atlas forum

by demographicarmageddon on Sat Jan 12, 2013 at 10:12:21 PM PST

•  Pete Stark was entirely his own (9+ / 0-)

He was unique to say the least. He kind of began to loose his bearings, or perhaps to put it more kindly his filter, as he got older, as over the last decade he said so many outrageous things that even many of his very liberal supporters became embarrassed for him. He was also notoriously cantankerous (anyone who ever went to a Pete Stark town hall can attest to this), but he was also a major policy wonk especially in the health care arena and all Americans are better off because of his time in Congress. I only wished he would've retired in 2012 rather than try for another turn. Its too bad his final election was a loss.

Lautenberg, while old and liberal, isn't Pete Stark. He's never said crazy things about the troops or derided a female Republican congresswoman as a "whore for the insurance industry." He hasn't turned himself into a lighting, like Stark did. But, like Stark, Lautenberg is now dogged by his age. Its the elephant in the room.  The man who finally put Stark into retirement, Eric Swalwell, was noticeably younger. His tone was less partisan and he seemed more pragmatic than anything. Swalwell was also an energetic upstart, as well as slightly more moderate - most notably on defense spending (the district they were competing for now included the Lawrence Livermore Nt'l Laboratory (a major employer in the district) which Stark had stupidly opposed years before). Booker probably fills a similar profile to Swalwell. The difference is that Swalwell didn't run against Stark because Stark was old, but rather his opposition stemmed from the idea that Stark's partisanship and penchant for saying outlandish things had made him ineffective and his demeanor had become off putting to many (even liberals). In addition, Stark ran a lousy campaign, avoided the media and attacked Swalwell as a tea partier and as corrupt (he would apologize for this accusation after the media called it totally false). While the age issue may have been on many voters minds, Swalwell never brought it up. He took the high road on the matter. In sum, in combination with redistricting that made Stark's district slightly less liberal, these were effective lines of attack for Swalwell that eventually wound up as a victory.

The challenge for Corey Booker is to express to the electorate why they should choose him over Lautenberg. There probably is little daylight between the two of them on the issues. And Lautenberg isn't an offensive or off putting person, as far as I can tell. Can Lautenberg be called ineffective? IDK. So what is Booker's message? Why should he be Senator over Lautenberg? I can't detect one other than the idea that it is his turn. That isn't a winning strategy.

I like Corey Booker a lot and would very much like to see him in the Senate. But right now he's kind of got a PR disaster on his hands. He hasn't articulated why he's running or why he'd be better than Lautenberg. Rather, it looks like he's trying to push poor, elderly Frank out of the job he so dearly loves.

•  ........................... (1+ / 0-)

Is it safe to assume LG Anthony Brown is the next governor of Maryland? or will he get a strong challenge?

•  He'll get a strong challenge (3+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY, DCCyclone, jncca

in the primary likely from Attorney General Doug Gansler, and possibly from Howard County Executive Ken Ulman.  Others may get in as well, though one big name, Comptroller Peter Franchot, took himself out of the running.

A GOP win is a fairly long shot, but Harford County Executive David Craig could make a decent race under the right circumstances.

37, MD-8 (MD-6 after 2012) resident, NOVA raised, Euro/Anglophile Democrat

by Mike in MD on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 12:00:18 PM PST

•  Dem primary is pretty open (1+ / 0-)

I wouldn't assume Brown wins.  I like him, I met him once years ago, and I would like to see another black Governor, especially a young one who has a long future in politics.

But it's going to be an unpredictable primary.

by DCCyclone on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 08:24:45 PM PST

•  MA-Sen: Markey hires Sarah Benzing (13+ / 0-)

She was Sherrod Brown's campaign manager last year.  He's also hired the campaign managers from Elizabeth Warren's campaign as well.  Markey seems to be hiring a good team here.  Let's hope he keeps it up!

GODSPEED TO THE WISCONSIN FOURTEEN!

by LordMike on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 11:21:20 AM PST

•  Booker on Senate run: 'That's my intention' (1+ / 0-)
    LordMike

Booker on Senate run: 'That's my intention'

By GINGER GIBSON | 1/13/13 11:36 AM EST
    Newark Mayor Cory Booker on Sunday continued to teeter the line about whether he will run for the U.S. Senate and potentially challenge incumbent Sen. Frank Lautenberg to a primary.

"That's my intention, but it's over a year away," Booker said when asked if he's going to run. "A lot could change between now and then."

But he didn't explicitly say he was running.

"I'm not ruling out anything right now but it's premature to be speculative," Booker said.

Booker, who filed paperwork this week to officially form a campaign said, that move was more technical.

"You have to file the papers even to do research on the issue," Booker said.

Booker ruled out running against Republican Gov. Chris Christie for a job in Trenton. Polls showed that a gubernatorial race would have been a steep uphill climb for Booker, but recent polls shows the mayor edging out Lautenberg in a primary faceoff.

The possibility that he could challenge the 88-year-old incumbent has ruffled feathers in some quarters. Booker conceded that he hasn't spoken with Lautenberg.

"This is really early, we've reached out to him. We even had a trip down to speak with him but he wasn't able to speak," Booker said.

The old timer avoiding Booker?
  •  I don't remember (0+ / 0-)

but was there any talk of a primary challenge to Corzine in 2009? A primary challenge could of saved us from Chris Christie.

•  IIRC there was a lot of talk of Codey (1+ / 0-)

running in his place (but I dont know of Codey had any intention of that or if it was just dem pipe dreams), and I'm not sure but I think I recall polling that showed Codey could have beaten Christie.

27, NE-2 (resident), IL-9 (part-timer), SD-AL (raised); SSP and DKE lurker since 2007

by JDJase on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 12:35:09 PM PST

•  Benefits of a nonpartisan legislature (5+ / 0-)

This past week in Nebraska, State Sen. Heath Mello was unexpectedly elected chairman of the Appropriations Committee, arguably one of the most powerful spots in the legislature (aside from Speaker, obviously).  He is the first Democrat since 1948 to hold the spot.  Here's a nice little profile: http://www.omaha.com/...

I got to know Heath before he became a senator through my friend (who is now his wife) while we were working for the Dems on various campaigns.  He's very ambitious and I suspect he'll be the general Dem name floating around in the future for higher office.

Of the 49 senators, 30 are Republicans, 19 are Democratss or Independents (not sure of the breakdown, but I can only think of 1 Indy for sure that is conservative and 1 that is liberal [the infamous Ernie Chambers...google him I dare you])

Democrats also have the chairmanships of the Business and Labor Committee, the Retirement committee, and the Urban Affairs committee (that I know of).

by JDJase on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 12:19:39 PM PST

•  Actually (with some Omaha-Mayor stuff) (2+ / 0-)
      KingofSpades, MichaelNY

I shouldn't have called one of the independents a "conservative" as much as "former Republican."  That would be Sen Brad Ashford, who left the Republican party last year and is currently running for Omaha Mayor, and the bulk of his support is coming from dems unhappy with the current mayor (including the support of Dem former mayor Mike Fahey).

by JDJase on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 01:05:28 PM PST

•  Sweet deal. (2+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY, JDJase

Obviously, you want a Dem chairing the Labor committee.  How old is Heath Mello and where is he from?  Could he be a great candidate for Gov. in an open seat scenario?

by KingofSpades on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 01:10:32 PM PST

•  South Omaha (2+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY, JDJase

by KingofSpades on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 01:11:30 PM PST

•  He's 33 and I could definitely (2+ / 0-)
        KingofSpades, MichaelNY

see him running for governor at some point, but at the same time I also see his ambition as serious yet realistic enough to where he would run for a lower statewide office first.  Which he would probably have to anyway, to stay relevant, as the next time the governor's seat will be open is 2022 at the earliest, and Sen. Mello will be termed out of the legislature in 2016.

by JDJase on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 01:16:53 PM PST

•  Also, the Labor committee chair (1+ / 0-)
        KingofSpades

is Steve Lathrop, who will likely be our nominee for Governor in 2014.

by JDJase on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 03:16:32 PM PST

•  where does Mello represent? (2+ / 0-)
      JDJase, MichaelNY

by James Allen on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 02:11:45 PM PST

•  He represents what's geographically (4+ / 0-)

"South Omaha", though the area that is typically referred to as "South Omaha" (which is primarily Hispanic) is mostly outside of his district, and what is in his district makes up a very small portion of the entire district.  The rest goes more south-central which is a heavily industrial area and extends up into midtown Omaha, which is a mixture of lower income and high income affluent liberals.  He actually ran completely unopposed in 2012.

If you're in the mood for a map, here is the one on the legislatures site (but it's not numbered).  Zoom into Omaha, and in the southeast side, his district is the one that is on the southwest corner of the intersections of Interstate 80 and Interstate 480 and Highway 75 (his name will pop up when u click on it)

by JDJase on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 02:41:53 PM PST

•  GOOOOOOO Seahawks! (0+ / 0-)

See that last play!?  OMG!

by KingofSpades on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 01:05:11 PM PST

•  New diary (2+ / 0-)
    KingofSpades, LordMike

by Xenocrypt on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 01:25:56 PM PST

•  Demographics are destiny in AZ and TX (3+ / 0-)

but not in a way that is beneficial for Democrats. The reality is that the TDP was dealt a death blow over the past 10 years as the foundation of the party withered away and the same goes for AZ, although the trend has taken place over a longer period of time with "Pinto Democrats" and an influx of hostile/inelastic upper middle class retirees. I find the reluctance of pundits/commentators to accept this and focus on the Latino demographic to be puzzling.

I think a more compelling scenario for a shift in Texas (the same goes for Arizona but Phoenix will never achieve this) would be the emergence of a larger urban liberal base in conjunction with an inspirational Democratic candidate with a Latino surname who can turnout both rural Latinos in the valley and recent urban arrivals. Austin is still booming and and is undergoing rapid development. I think it's a possibility, if a small one.

•  Democrats did win 5 districts, though. (1+ / 0-)
        James Allen

Favorable map or not, AZ-09 and 01 were never in the bank (though tilting our way).  Obama also performed better over 2008 in Graham, Greenlee, and Gila County, three counties where I believe the Pinto Democrats are still around (and Kirkpatrick won Greenlee County).  That could be chalked up to the fact that the white populations there have been stagnant and that Obama improved over 2008 among non-Caucasian Arizonans, though.  He did do worse than 2008 in nearby rural Cochise County, also.

by KingofSpades on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 09:07:34 PM PST

•  Omaha-Mayor (4+ / 0-)

Figured I'd drop seme detes on the Omaha mayor race since it became somewhat high-profile when we started off 2011 with a recall, right before recalls became cool.

There are 5 candidates total in the race:

Current Mayor Jim Suttle (D)
    City Councilwoman Jean Stothert (R)
    Sen. Brad Ashford (I - former R, but running w D support)
    Former City Council President Dan Welch (R)
    Businessman Dave Nabity (R) (right-wing loudmouth who organized the 2011 recall)

The race is non-partisan, and the top 2 vote getters in the April primary will go on to the May general.  I am near certain Mayor Suttle will be in the top 2.  The worry is that Sen Ashford will peel away too many Dem votes (Ashford has the backing of Dem former Mayor Mike Fahey).  Personally, I think it could be possible for Ashford to peel enough votes away that Suttle doesn't finish 1st, but I think it's hard to see it being enough to knock Suttle out of the top 2.

As for the other person in the top 2, I think it will be Jean Stothert.  She is the loudest Republican on the council currently so she gets a lot of press time (aka name rec).  Dan Welch has been out of office and invisible for 5 years.  I think Ashford's indy coalition just won't be enough to put him over the top.  And god help us of wing nut Nabity wins...it would be a bit like electing Glen Beck.

by JDJase on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 01:28:49 PM PST

•  Petition (3+ / 0-)
    LordMike, nonsensoleum, redrelic17

Remove US District Attorney Carmen Ortiz from office for overreach in the prosecution of Aaron Swartz.

The US Attorney's office, as well as the administration of MIT, was unusually harsh on Swartz, threatening decades in prison for a victimless crime. JSTOR, the database Swartz hacked into, dropped all civil charges against him, but US Attorney Ortiz and MIT refused to follow their lead, pressing ridiculously extravagant criminal charges on Swartz, whose only crime was a deep commitment to Open Access.

I know this has nothing to with elections, but I feel it's important enough to post on this open thread.

Student, Proud Progressive, Science Nerd, and Skeptic. Born and raised in CT-03. "Teach a man to reason, and he'll think for a lifetime."--Phil Plait

by betelgeux on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 05:21:13 PM PST

•  Bill Clinton is on the Golden Globes (3+ / 0-)
    GloFish, MichaelNY, HoosierD42

He's presenting the nomination for Lincoln.

26, Male, CA-26, DK Elections Black Caucus Chair.

by DrPhillips on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 05:59:52 PM PST

•  IA-SOS: Statewide Obama Campaign Manager (4+ / 0-)

Brad Anderson to run.

Anderson's steering campaign consists of all the big Democratic names in Iowa: Loebsack, Vilsack, Harkin, Braley, Dvorsky, and Culver.

•  Wow does he really think Branstad won't run? (4+ / 0-)

He'd be a fool to run against him otherwise as he'd be throwing away a safe perch to succeed Grassley or Harkin from in exchange for a loss against the modestly popular Branstad.  I just don't see how any Democrat would beat him unless the economy tanks, which won't happen.  PPP's last poll from August for instance had him at 49/37 approvals and beating generic D by the same margin.

by sawolf on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 09:20:35 PM PST

•  Gov in 2014 sounds risky. (4+ / 0-)

I'd prefer it if he ran for Senate when either Harkin or Grassley retire. My dream scenario in IA would be if Harkin runs in 2014 and wins, and Grassley retires in 2016, with Braley running for his seat.

by betelgeux on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 11:16:00 PM PST

•  WI-??? (0+ / 0-)

John "Sly" Sylvester, a former radio talk show host who lost his job after WTDY-AM, a Madison-based radio station, fired its entire news and talk staff, including Sly, is scheduled to announce his future plans at 10 A.M. this morning.

While it's highly unlikely that Sly will announce a run for public office (the clues he's given include names of counties in Iowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin that stretch from Dubuque County, IA to Dane County, WI, which means he's probably going to work for a radio station that has a coverage area stretching from Dubuque, Iowa to Madison, Wisconsin), that hasn't stopped Wisconsin State Assemblywoman Terese Berceau (D-WI-AD-77) from suggesting that Sly may announce a run for public office:

Sorry, I have a funeral. Look forward to hearing the news. I'm assuming you're running for something? Just not my seat, ok?

I don't give people hell. I speak my mind and conservatives think it's hell.

by DownstateDemocrat on Sun Jan 13, 2013 at 11:29:22 PM PST

•  KS-4 (4+ / 0-)
    KingofSpades, MichaelNY, sapelcovits, jj32

Here's a potential Democratic opponent to Republican incumbent Mike Pompeo: Kansas State Senator Jean Schodorf, an ex-Republican who recently just switched parties.

I'm not sure if Schodorf would be interested in a run for Congress, though, but she might be able to make a race of it against Pompeo, although she'd stand little chance of winning.

I don't give people hell. I speak my mind and conservatives think it's hell.

by DownstateDemocrat on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 12:54:57 AM PST

•  This was a long time coming (2+ / 0-)
      DownstateDemocrat, MichaelNY

She left the Republican Party in September, after losing her primary to a conservative insurgent. She's been an Independent since then until..well now, I guess.

by HoosierD42 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 02:01:00 AM PST

•  Schodorf also ran in the KS-04 primary in 2010 (2+ / 0-)
        DownstateDemocrat, MichaelNY

As a Republican, losing to Pompeo. I believe all four of Pompeo's opponents hated his guts.

by HoosierD42 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 at 02:03:06 AM PST