Dinosaur Jr. -- "Just Like Heaven"

•  I Can't Let That Stand (1+ / 0-)
    itskevin

you realize that song you posted was first done by the Cure.

Am I getting so old that we forget the first?

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 02:51:38 PM PST

•  Virginia Governor's Race (12+ / 0-)

These past two years have impressed upon me the importance of how dire the need is get support out for races that determine State leadership.

I'm not from Virginia (I'm presently in the State with those fantastic potatoes) but if I can get my business in order I anticipate traveling and volunteering to get McAuliffe elected.

Wonders are many, but none so wonderful as man.

by Morgan Sandlin on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 03:02:39 PM PST

•  MA senate (3+ / 0-)
    webranding, equern, MichaelNY

I want to know they (the Dems) won't screw it up again.

•  MA-Sen for now (1+ / 0-)

also VA-Gov to an extent

Age 23. Voting in NJ-03. Lived most of life in NJ-01. Had Rush Holt represent me during my undergrad years and am now represented by Frank Pallone in my grad school.

by KingofSpades on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 03:30:36 PM PST

•  Great documentaries. (1+ / 0-)
    andgarden

What are your favorites?  "The Atomic Cafe" ranks high for me:

by KingofSpades on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 03:31:07 PM PST

•  Not released yet, but Forward looks promising (1+ / 0-)
      KingofSpades

It's a documentary about the mass protests in Wisconsin in early 2011. Here's information about Forward from the film's official website...also, I contacted whoever maintains the film's Facebook page, and they told me that the film is scheduled to be released sometime in 2013.

As Goes Janesville is my favorite documentary of all-time...after all, we got this chit-chat between Scott Walker and Diane Hendricks on tape thanks to the filmmaker of that documentary:

Elizabeth Warren on the Senate Banking Committee is a BFD!

by DownstateDemocrat on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 04:19:56 PM PST

•  Roger & Me (2+ / 0-)
      KingofSpades, LordMike

by James Allen on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 04:31:34 PM PST

•  That is really an excellent one (3+ / 0-)

Also on my list:

Hearts and Minds (1974)

Seeing Red (1983) (about Americans who joined the "Abraham Lincoln" brigade in the 1930s to fight on the republican side in the Spanish civil war).

Ok, so I read the polls.

by andgarden on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 04:44:26 PM PST

•  Jus now watching "Street Fight" (0+ / 0-)

for the very first time. Man it's a good documentary. Considering that I live in Newark, and moved here towards the end of James' tenure.

Moderate Progressive, Born in Cairo, Raised in NY-11, Living in NJ-13.

by BKGyptian89 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 05:51:09 PM PST

•  BBC's (2+ / 0-)
      KingofSpades, DCCyclone

"Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire" documentary series is my favorite. And best of all of it except for parts of the Julius Caesar episode is on Youtube.

Also unlike most documentaries and movies about Rome, BBC shows how the Roman Army was actually equipped in the days of the Roman Republic and the days of the late Empire.

Here's a clip of the "Revolution" episode which chronicles the life of Tiberius Gracchus who fought to break the power of the rich who were taking all the land away from the common folk (sound familiar?) during the days of the Republic.

Sadly Tiberius wasn't able to get far because the members of the Roman senate personally clubbed him to death when they had enough of him. But Tiberius' actions would lead to the rise of Julius Caesar and the Emperors a century later.

The Republican party is now an extreme right-wing party that is owned by their billionaire campaign contributors. - Bernie Sanders

by ehstronghold on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 06:42:02 PM PST

•  I'd say it was more of the senate, in opposing any (0+ / 0-)

reforms, which brought on further popular pressure for reform, culminating in Caesar, and then they again assassinated the leader of the reformers, which again led to even worse consequences.

by James Allen on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 07:32:49 PM PST

•  So Many...Enron, Bowling for Columbine etc... (1+ / 0-)
      KingofSpades

I'd have to say of recent ones I have seen:

Pink Ribbons Inc was pretty good.

All time (in no particular order):

Bowling for Columbine (extremely relevant recently)
      Enron: the Smartest Guys in the Room
      The Fog of War
      War Room (of course, seeing Carville when young)

and if you call it a documentary (or something else)

Exit Through the Gift Shop

•  I loved Smartest Guys in the Room. (3+ / 0-)
        hankmeister, CF of Aus, tk421

It shows what those maggots at ENRON could get away with and how simple and devilish their fiscal manipulation was.  They also used their ties with the Bush family to deregulate their industry.  It also showed that the California rolling blackouts were man-made, not some accident.

by KingofSpades on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 07:09:51 PM PST

•  i liked this movie that one of my right wing (0+ / 0-)

friends was talking about. It's called "Agenda: Grinding America Down". Its always interesting to think what the right is thinking so its easier to come up with counterpoints. You can find it on vimeo.

RRH expat (known as AquarianLeft). Also known as freepcrusher on leip atlas forum

by demographicarmageddon on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 08:55:31 PM PST

•  After being on my list for at least 6 years (3+ / 0-)
      BeloitDem, tommypaine, MichaelNY

I finally got a copy of the Ken Burns Civil War series on DVD this Christmas. Really looking forward to getting started.

"What do you mean "conspiracy"? Does that mean it's someone's imaginings and that the actual polls hovered right around the result?" - petral

by conspiracy on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 09:03:29 AM PST

•  Our Brand is Crisis. (4+ / 0-)
      KingofSpades, MichaelNY, BeloitDem, askew

It's a documentary about James Carville and many others of the old Clinton team going to Bolivia and through focus groups, negative advertising, and slick American marketing getting him getting a thoroughly corrupt and discredited former President elected again as leader of Bolivia.  He of course is wantonly corrupt and is literally driven from the country within a year.

It's absolutely fascinating seeing just how dangerously effective Carville and co are.  Comic relief provided by the Bush administration who out of nowhere comes in and publicly warns Bolivians NOT to elect Evo Morales.  Thus catapulting Morales up in the polls and virtually creating his career.

A must see documentary.

The lady was enchanted and said they ought to see. So they charged her with subversion and made her watch TV -Spirogyra

by Taget on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 12:11:27 AM PST

•  TEXAS Gov. (3+ / 0-)

Rick may have a big problem (well at least I am hoping so) as all the information about his terrible management of the State budget and cuts to education / women's health / the CPRIT funding fiasco.     Even some of the TP types are angry with him.

•  NYS Senate 46 District - Cecilia Tkaczyk (6+ / 0-)

heading for court down by 37 votes contesting 333 ballots tossed on technical grounds by previous judge. Numerical majority of the State Senate hangs in the balance even if majority control does not (though it may still).

"Do what you can with what you have where you are." - Teddy Roosevelt

by Andrew C White on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 05:54:34 PM PST

•  MI Gov: Snyder signs abortion bill (8+ / 0-)

And, the Mississippification continues.  Governor Snyder signed into law a controversial abortion bill, today, after waffling over whether he'd sign it or not, but in his typically weasely and cowardly fashion to try and minimize the political damage, vetoed another bill with some abortion restrictions but only for a particular entity:

Gov. Rick Snyder has signed into law a multi-part bill that strengthens oversight of stand-alone clinics whose business is primarily abortion, requires doctors to make sure a woman hasn’t been coerced into an abortion and fixes into law precisely how fetal remains will be handled.

But the governor also sacrificed a major effort from his office — the business conversion of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan — because a last-minute, lame-duck amendment tacked onto the bill would make it tougher for insurers to extend coverage for abortions, even in cases of rape or when the mother’s life was in danger, he said.

Snyder & Co. have moved the state further right in literally one month than three-term conservative Repulican governor John Engler did in 12 years.  My goodness, what a blitz.  In a state that's been struggling for years, and in a state that the governor has talked about drawing educated immigrants and young people to, he sure has sabotaged his own goals.  Honestly, this guy is the worst governor in decades.
  •  I've been thinking about (3+ / 0-)
    stevenaxelrod, jj32, abgin

MA-GOV:
    The GOP might go with Richard Tisei, or maybe Charles Baker, the 2010 nominee. I think Baker is damaged goods, since IIRC his background as a health care executive was a big turnoff to voters. Tisei would be the logical choice, since he's a social moderate and nearly picked up a congressional seat last month. Scott Brown and Bill Weld are longshots; Brown doesn't have an executive bone in his body and he knows it, and Weld ruined his future in MA by running in NY.

The Democratic field is pretty deep. Let's rattle off some names: Martha Coakley, Steve Grossman, Carmen Ortiz, Tim Murray, Mike Capuano, Setti Warren, Kim Driscoll, even Joe Kennedy. Coakley would definitely be the strongest candidate, she's been a good AG, and is still very popular in MA despite her horrible campaigning and arrogant remarks during the 2010 special. If she were to face a primary challenge, it would probably be from Capuano or Grossman. Grossman would bring a lot of $ into the race due to his background as DNC Chair, and Capuano might get the backing of outside progressive groups. Tim Murray is a weak candidate, and Setti Warren and Driscoll have practically 0 name rec. They might turn out to be candidates for Lt. Governor. If Joe II runs he might clear the field, and I've heard some rumors about his interest in the race, but I haven't heard anything solid.

Student, Proud Progressive, Science Nerd, and Skeptic. Born and raised in CT-03.

by betelgeux on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 07:50:39 PM PST

•  Tisei was Baker's running mate in 2010. (1+ / 0-)

by KingofSpades on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 07:51:49 PM PST

•  That's right. (1+ / 0-)

I had totally forgotten. That means Tisei has even more name rec, and could conceivably run a competitive campaign, given MA's tendency to elect moderate (or supposedly moderate) Republicans as Governor.

by betelgeux on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 08:16:29 PM PST

•  Considering he has 2 failed major campaigns (4+ / 0-)
          stevenaxelrod, jj32, LordMike, MichaelNY

at his back, I don't think he's that strong anymore.  The Congressional race revealed him to be rather presumptuous and aloof.  National interests put a lot in against a badly hurt incumbent (outspending Tierney 7 to 2) and still lost.  Furthermore, this district is ~4% less Dem than the state as a whole.

by KingofSpades on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 08:21:51 PM PST

•  Good Point. (1+ / 0-)

The thing is, I just don't know of any other big name GOPhers in MA who might be interested in running for Gov. The GOP bench is extremely thin in MA, and they only have a few big name politicians with any sort of statewide name recognition. Brown, Tisei, Weld, Baker...who else is there? Maybe I'm just missing someone, but I'm pretty sure that unless some millionaire crawls out of the woodwork, that's the best the MA GOP has to offer in 2014.

by betelgeux on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 09:00:00 PM PST

•  MA has the strongest GOP bench of any blue (0+ / 0-)

state besides Illinois (and maybe Vermont, with the LG).  If you want a blue state with an actual bench, try California!

20, CA-18 (home), CA-13 (school)
              politicohen.com
              Socially libertarian, moderate on foreign policy, immigration, and crime, liberal on everything else.
              UC Berkeley; I think I'm in the conservative half of this city. -.5.38, -3.23

by jncca on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 10:49:09 PM PST

•  actual weak bench, that is. (0+ / 0-)

20, CA-18 (home), CA-13 (school)
                politicohen.com
                UC Berkeley; I think I'm in the conservative half of this city. -.5.38, -3.23

by jncca on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 10:49:20 PM PST

•  I can think of a few with better. (3+ / 0-)
                MichaelNY, BeloitDem, betelgeux

The MA GOP has zero statewide officials, both federal and state, zero Congressmen.

by KingofSpades on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 11:03:55 PM PST

•  They have a popular former Senator (1+ / 0-)

a popular former Governor, and a moderate state senator.  California has none of the three.

20, CA-18 (home), CA-13 (school)
                  politicohen.com
                  UC Berkeley; I think I'm in the conservative half of this city. -.5.38, -3.23

by jncca on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 12:49:53 PM PST

•  I know (2+ / 0-)
                    sapelcovits, MichaelNY

but NJ, WA, OR, and MI are blue states with more of a GOP bench than MA.    Also, which former Governor?  Not Romney, he's well underwater there now in favorables and he is, for all intents and purposes, a resident of La Jolla, CA these days.  Not Paul Cellucci, he's suffering from Lou Gehrig's disease.  Not William Weld as he's old news and his 2006 run for Governor of New York only to come crawling back home won't sit well in MA.  Not Jane Swift as she thought being Lt. Governor and Governor made her the Queen of Sheba.

by KingofSpades on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 01:22:48 PM PST

•  Suffering from Lou Gehrig's disease (0+ / 0-)

does not preclude one from being popular, I'd just note.

24, Practical Progressive Democrat (-4.75, -4.51), DKE Gay Caucus Majority Leader, IN-02; Swingnut. Defeat Wacky Jackie for 2014!

by HoosierD42 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 08:54:16 PM PST

•  Yes (1+ / 0-)

I neglected to say that ALS probably precludes him from running for office due to health issues.

by KingofSpades on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 10:09:28 AM PST

•  CA sort of does, or did (2+ / 0-)
                    Zack from the SFV, MichaelNY

Pete Wilson was fairly popular at the time, but he would be unelectable statewide at this point and would probably have a ceiling of about 45% even against a whodat Dem. Abel Maldonado is a moderate and was in the state senate up until a few years ago, but he didn't come close to Gavin Newsom even in 2010.

SSP poster. 43, new CA-6, -0.25/-3.90

by sacman701 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 02:38:23 PM PST

•  well its Massachusetts and they're Republicans (3+ / 0-)
            MichaelNY, Xenocrypt, betelgeux

they're going to have to go with someone who has either lost major campaigns or never waged a major campaign.

by James Allen on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 09:30:58 PM PST

•  So you think Brown runs for Senate again? (2+ / 0-)
      betelgeux, MichaelNY

I think you are right, that the downside to the governor's race is that he would actually have to govern.

On the other hand, I dont know if he is looking forward to going from the special election to another Senate election in 1 1/2 years.

•  Gov Patrick should leak news that he'd run in 2014 (3+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY, PorridgeGun, betelgeux

should Markey lose somehow in the special.  Brown could figure he beats Markey, he's got pretty smooth sailing in 2014 with all the House Reps unwilling to give up House seat to challenge him, and other big name Dems looking at Gov race.

However if Brown sees that he's have another huge challenge in 2014 from term limited Gov Patrick it might be another tick in the "not run" side of his decision making list.

The NRA is the Gun Manufacturer Lobby. Nothing more. Their pontification about the second amendment is nothing more than their ad jingle. They're the domestic version of the Military Industrial Complex.

by Jacoby Jonze on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 09:49:02 PM PST

•  NJ-Gov (3+ / 0-)

I don't think Christie can be defeated at the moment, but in such a blue state as New Jersey, he's never no more than one fuck up away from the pit of one-term governors. I feel like Buono has the potential to be an extraordinary candidate once she gets some name rec.

Barbara Buono for NJ Governor 2013, Terry McAuliffe for VA Governor 2013

by interstate73 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 08:49:54 PM PST

•  Fun fact (4+ / 0-)
    Audrid, KingofSpades, MichaelNY, itskevin

there is a station called Tsutsui about a half hour south of me. maybe the new Hawaii LG's lineage goes back to here originally?

Living in Kyoto-06 (Japan), voting in RI-01, went to college in IL-01.

by sapelcovits on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 09:10:29 PM PST

•  Battle brewing for control of the AL-GOP (2+ / 0-)
    sapelcovits, DCCyclone

Also, State House Speaker Mike Hubbard has some issues...

•  District Attorney for the 24th Judicial Circuit in (3+ / 0-)
    LordMike, MichaelNY, DCCyclone

Alabama, Chris McCool switches to the Republican Party

•  Do we have any potential candidates (1+ / 0-)

that could win a statewide election in Alabama anymore?

"So there's a time for silence, and there's a time for waiting your turn. But if you know how you feel, and you so clearly know what you need to say, you'll know it. I don't think you should wait. I think you should speak now." -Taylor Swift

by SouthernINDem on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 10:58:50 PM PST

•  Bobby Bright, Tammy Irons, Roger Bedford Jr. (5+ / 0-)

Bedford is the leader of the Senate Democrats. His district will be the only "rural Blue Dog Democratic district" after 2014. Republicans packed all the conservative Democrats who still vote Democrat into his district. Tammy Irons won election to a very Republican district in 2010. If she survives 2014 (she ran a great campaign in 2010 and her district was gerrymandered by Republicans), then she'll be a potential candidate for something in the future. Bright has extensive connections to Southeastern Alabama (he got 48% in 2010!), but is not well known in Northwestern Alabama, which is the heart of the rural Blue Dog constituency.

That said, they would have to run seriously good campaigns to win. A midterm is better than a presidential year, for sure.

•  Do you think that Sue Bell Cobb (0+ / 0-)

would run for something again?

by SouthernINDem on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 11:30:47 PM PST

•  The Washington Post's "The Fix" presents its (2+ / 0-)
    KingofSpades, MichaelNY

Best Year in Washington Award to...one time Kossack Nate Silver.  (Was he also on SSP during his "poblano" days?)

Worst year goes to the Tea Party.  You know, sour grapes sometimes taste pretty damn sweet.

37, MD-8 (MD-6 after 2012) resident, NOVA raised, Euro/Anglophile Democrat

by Mike in MD on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 10:43:47 PM PST

•  Looks about right to me. (1+ / 0-)

by KingofSpades on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 11:02:14 PM PST

•  Except for the bit about the president's (2+ / 0-)
        KingofSpades, MichaelNY

Convention speech being a "stinker."

by conspiracy on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 09:08:11 AM PST

•  Missed that one. (0+ / 0-)

Yeah, it was no Gettysburg Address, but it was adequate.  Julian Castro's was the lame one because he was too smiley and his cadence was too Obama-ish to sound original.

by KingofSpades on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 10:33:12 AM PST

•  I liked Castro's speech okay enough. (3+ / 0-)
            KingofSpades, BeloitDem, MichaelNY

Of the convention speeches, Patrick's was probably a good partisan speech, and O'Malley's was a mix of good and awful.  Castro's was, compared to Obama's in 2004 and Warner's in 2008, surprisingly actually related to the election at hand, which I found refreshing.

by James Allen on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 11:46:41 AM PST

•  Anyone else seen the Doctor Who (5+ / 0-)

Christmas special yet?

What a mindfuck.

•  I'm so behind. (0+ / 0-)

by KingofSpades on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 11:00:47 PM PST

•  No but have it downloaded and will get to it (0+ / 0-)

Tomorrow.

Town Planner, 30 years Old, Election Junkie, "If you agree with Bush's economic policy, Cheney's foreign policy, and Santorum's social policy, you loved Romney's speech" - James Carville (aka the Ragin Cajun) on the Colbert Report

by CF of Aus on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 05:33:05 AM PST

•  Do we induct CO into the light blue state fold? (1+ / 0-)

They voted almost as Dem as PA this year, and was far more contested.  So I guess it's purple no more?

by KingofSpades on Fri Dec 28, 2012 at 11:09:24 PM PST

•  MI-Gov: Is Snyder trying to lose? (6+ / 0-)

All of these rapidly right-wing, lameduck bills he is signing seem to suggest he might not even run in the primary, right?  I mean, what the hell, this is getting crazy.

27, male, gay, living and voting in IN-7. Joe Donnelly for Senate and John Gregg for Governor!

by IndyLiberal on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 12:40:29 AM PST

•  MA-Sen: Capuano not giving up yet (3+ / 0-)
      Audrid, MichaelNY, Zack from the SFV

Link: http://www.politico.com/...

"It seems that the big names of our party are trying to choose our nominee for us," Capuano, who was elected to his eighth term in November, said in a statement. "When I became mayor of Somerville the establishment wasn't with me. When I became a member of Congress the establishment wasn't with me. If I make this run it will be the same way - from the streets up, not from the elite down."
      (h/t James Nola at RRH)

(-9.38, -7.49), Blood type "O", social anarchist, KY-01, "When smashing monuments, save the pedestals. They always come in handy." — Stanisław Lem

by Setsuna Mudo on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 05:36:41 AM PST

•  Masochist. (5+ / 0-)
        Audrid, itskevin, MichaelNY, gabjoh, betelgeux

by Setsuna Mudo on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 05:36:53 AM PST

•  Oops, this wasn't intended as a reply, clearly. (2+ / 0-)
        Audrid, MichaelNY

by Setsuna Mudo on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 05:37:14 AM PST

•  He has nothing to lose (3+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY, BeloitDem, DCCyclone

Doesn't have to give up his house seat, which is secure, in order to run.

Chuck Hagel for Defense Secretary

by Paleo on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 05:45:37 AM PST

•  Once again it seems Capuano wants to do (2+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY, betelgeux

GOP's bidding with his attacks.  This guy had his shot in 2009 and sucked eggs.  Markey endorsed him over Coakley, and yet he has the nerve to attack Markey as an establishment/elitist candidate now.  I bet Brown will use the same attack.

by Jacoby Jonze on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 07:51:01 AM PST

•  It's just what underdogs in primaries (1+ / 0-)

seem to always say.

27, Dem, Dude seeing a dude, CT-04(originally), PA-02/NY-10 (formerly PA-02/NY-12, then PA-02/NY-14).

by Xenocrypt on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 09:16:00 AM PST

•  Kathleen Falk all over again (1+ / 0-)

Falk was the first one to enter the WI-Gov recall primary, and, as soon as Kathleen Vinehout and Tom Barrett entered the race, Falk went EXTREMELY negative against both of them, basically accusing Vinehout of being an anti-abortion extremist and Barrett of being a union buster. I don't think she ever attacked Doug LaFollette, though.

Elizabeth Warren on the Senate Banking Committee is a BFD!

by DownstateDemocrat on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 12:32:33 PM PST

•  I really wish we could just rally around 1 person (2+ / 0-)
        betelgeux, MichaelNY

It seems as though all of the establishment is going the other way, and we really don't need a clowncar primary here, because it's looking more and more like Brown will run again. And Brown really does maintain high favorability ratings in the state, in spite of his recently loss.

•  This sort of thing is so transparent (3+ / 0-)
        betelgeux, itskevin, MichaelNY

Spew whatever garbage is convenient at a given time to create an opening. If Capuano thinks he can do a better job in terms of the campaign and then potentially in office he should run on those reasons not this nakedly opportunistic BS.

by conspiracy on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 09:20:07 AM PST

•  This is a (1+ / 0-)

damn shame. I was really hoping the liberal wing of the MA Democratic party could unite around Markey. If Markey, Capuano, and Lynch run, the liberal vote could easily split between Capuano and Markey, giving Blue Dog Lynch the nomination. That's the last thing we need.

I was originally a big fan of Capuano. I even thought he would be a better candidate than Markey for a time. But with these sort of remarks (in which he callously throws fellow progressives under the bus) he just seems like a shameless opportunist.

by betelgeux on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 12:23:33 PM PST

•  Well, all the RW bills (3+ / 0-)

Do make him more palatable to the folks who will vote in the primary. But as for the general...not so much.

As a MI resident who's sadly seeing all of this close up, I do think that he may just wait until early 2014 and say, "I'm not running again. I came, and I did what I needed to do." I have to think that he knows he's shooting himself in the proverbial foot for the 2014 general. Still, as we've clearly seen this year, Republicans have an amazing capacity to believe their own bullshit...maybe he really does think he's "making the tough choices" and will be rewarded with re-election. ::sigh::

•  New Utah GOP Rep. may be open to ... (2+ / 0-)
    MichaelNY, KingofSpades

gun control -- quite surprised reading the article below; it appears he might be to left of Matheson on this issue:

•  MA-SEN: My concern about Markey (0+ / 0-)

While I dont have an issue with the establishment support, I hope it doesnt cause Markey to run a safe, Coakley-type campaign, where he, well, basically doesnt campaign.

Many have pointed out that recent successful candidates for statewide office in MA(Patrick, Warren, and I guess even Brown) had strong grassroots campaigns and held numerous events all over the state. I hope Markey campaigns the same way, especially given that he hasnt faced a competitive race in a long time and has only represented a US House district.

Unlike 2010, both the state and national Dem parties will be active in this special election; hopefully the nominee's campaign will be too.

•  SSM takes effect in Maine. (11+ / 0-)

Congrats to those affected both directly and indirectly.

by KingofSpades on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 10:08:15 AM PST

•  Does this article look accurate? (2+ / 0-)
    BennyToothpick, MichaelNY

Is the GOP giving up for the rest of the year and are resigned to taking the blame?

by KingofSpades on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 10:09:29 AM PST

•  Or resigned to accepting a tax rate increase (4+ / 0-)

Not trying to talk policy here, but rather the politics of the GOP having to accept a tax rate increase, for those making 400k or more.

If the GOP stands for anything, it's "no tax increases ever".  And now they wont even stand for that. On the one hand, the base will be angry, but I wonder if their popularity overall improves by actually accepting(reluctantly) something that most Americans agree on.

There are some good quotes in the article about the deal making between Obama and Boehner. Boehner apparently asked for the 2011 deal early on in negotiations last month. Obama said that was off the table.

Boehner again walked away from negotiations on a grand bargain a few weeks ago, when they seemed close to a deal.

Next month, his negotiating position weakens, because there will be more Dems in the House and Senate. Perhaps that makes him agree to some grand bargain.

At some point, I feel like GOP has to realize they dont control two thirds of the government, and that they can actually try to get something on entitlement reform in a grand bargain deal, but doing so, actually means saying "yes" to Obama.

•  strategy to ward off primary challengers? (5+ / 0-)

Interesting take:

Here's what Buzzfeed is missing: For Republicans, losing the political fight isn't a downside of the strategy. It is the strategy.

Republicans are eventually going to have to agree to a compromise deal that is acceptable to a broad swath of Democrats and that substantially raises taxes. Their base is going to hate that. But if they drag their feet and get smacked around enough on the way to the deal, they will be able to sell the idea that they had no choice but to cave.

It's very similar to the 2011 fight over the debt ceiling increase, which Republicans for a time insisted would have to be linked to congressional passage of a balanced budget amendment.

A good fight -- or at least the show of one -- placates the conservative base and helps Republicans avoid primary challenges.

I'm not sure that putting up a good fight will placate the wingnut base, but if this is their strategy, it only has a chance of working if the GOP really does put up a fight - i.e. more hostage taking. If they really do that, I think it could backfire spectacularly. They might not get primaried, but the longer they fight, the more likely the country will go into a recession, which the GOP will then own.

I agree that all the GOP cares about at this point is avoiding primary challengers, but I think they will do this by blaming Obama for going off the fiscal cliff and then voting quickly to cut taxes for incomes up to 250k or whatever. That way they will be able to avoid the appearance of voting for tax increases (to ward off primary challenges) and yet minimize the damage to the economy (to save their own butts in the general election).

•  Or maybe when all tax cuts expire (3+ / 0-)
        jj32, Zack from the SFV, MichaelNY

they can vote on tax cuts for only the first 250K of income and say they voted for tax cuts rather than the twisted logic now of voting for a "tax increase" on the rich.

by KingofSpades on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 01:13:24 PM PST

•  when the GOP says that they're afraid of being (4+ / 0-)
          KingofSpades, sacman701, MichaelNY, tk421

perceived as voting for a tax increase, what that really means is that they've being afraid of being perceived as not doing everything they could to prevent it. The tax cuts are of course already scheduled to expire, but the GOP base won't simply accept that. The base can't or won't realize that the GOP leaders don't have enough leverage here to extend the tax cuts for everyone. So, the GOP's strategy is to wait until Jan. 1 when the tax cuts go up automatically. This will give them the opportunity to say that they've fought the good fight, blame Obama, and then make the case that they have no power to do anything other than pass the middle class tax cut.

I don't know if this will work, if it is their plan. It might because extending the tax cuts for the rich isn't hugely popular, even among Republicans, and so the base might be content with the middle class tax cuts. But I suspect it won't. The base would rather the GOP leadership fall on their swords rather than allow Obama to be perceived as victorious in the budget battle. Their hatred of Obama is such that they would rather torpedo the economy rather than give Obama a victory.

•  So you think they'll just let it all happen? (1+ / 0-)

All the cuts and tax cut expirations scheduled to happen without any concerted effort to mitigate it after the fact?

by KingofSpades on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 02:28:54 PM PST

•  I think we'll get a Reid/McConnell deal announced (1+ / 0-)

as soon as tonight.  Basically it's the deal Boehner would get if bargaining in good faith.  I know folks on the main site love the idea of going over the cliff and then thinking the GOP would roll over and give in to everything in the new year, but I don't think it would be nearly that clean or easy.

I think we would get a better deal now than we'd get in the new congress.

I think Pres Obama wants a grand bargain to put the never ending economics on the back burner for awhile.  Constantly fighting and refighting the issue every 3-4 months means nothing else can get done.  GOP don't mind that - Boehner will be judged (by them) as a supremely successful Majority Leader for blocking the Obama agenda for four years.

I think there is a certain level of kabuki in this deal making - ie there is stuff that Obama wants (deeper spending cuts) but needs to blame on GOP and certain things that Boehner is for but needs to blame on Obama (extending UEI for one example).

Get this deal done, and the next congress can kick off with immigration reform and Pres Obama can use his inaugeration address and SOTU for forward thinking agenda, not bickering over taxes/spending.

by Jacoby Jonze on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 03:01:40 PM PST

•  i think reid/mcconnell is a joke (2+ / 0-)
                LordMike, MichaelNY

I don't think Boehner is willing to let anything pass with Democratic votes before he's reelected speaker. If Reid/McConnell can negotiate some sort of deal, Boehner will then water it down to the point that it's no longer acceptable to democrats, and then will blame democrats when we go off the cliff.

•  i think we're going over the cliff (3+ / 0-)
              LordMike, MichaelNY, hankmeister

but we'll see some things fixed retroactively: extending the middle class tax cuts and the doctor fix. The sequester may or may not be delayed. We won't immediately get extension of unemployment benefits, estate tax deal, debt ceiling raise, or any sort of stimulus. Those will be fought over, when the next hostage taking happens.

•  Worst non-national columnist/reporter? (5+ / 0-)

I have to choose Holly Robichaud of the Boston Herald.  She keeps it no secret she works for the GOP, but she writes irreverently.  She constantly calls Elizabeth Warren "Lizzy Warren," the League of Women Voters the "League of Women Vultures," among other taunts and condescending remarks.  After the election, she blamed the electorate and said the 46% who voted for Brown were the "commonsense voters."  I know partisans think stuff like this (I do a fair number of times), but for a newspaper it looks unprofessional.  Then again, the Herald makes the NY Post look professional by comparison.

by KingofSpades on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 11:57:03 AM PST

•  Previewing my next diary out on Monday (hopefully) (2+ / 0-)
    KingofSpades, James Allen

I'm writing on the Arkansas Dummymander and I've calculated the partisan averages for all four districts:
    Photobucket

With the 1st and 2nd districts, Obama and Blanche Lincoln were the only Democrats running statewide to lose them since 2006, with Lincoln getting 44.6% and 45.3% of the two party vote, respectively.  All three of the Republicans other than Boozman who won statewide in 2010 narrowly carried the 4th.  You can really see how much better local Dems do in the 1st compared to Obama than they do in the 2nd compared to him.

I was surprised to see that the 2nd is only a point more Republican than the 1st though.  If Griffin had run statewide in 2014 I think we might have had a good chance to pick it up.  However retaking the 4th is out of the question, but the 1st might still be possible with a top tier candidate.

by sawolf on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 12:13:37 PM PST

•  Those "average" numbers are weird (1+ / 0-)
      KingofSpades

Did you just weight Beebe's race by 1000? Its no use using races back from 2002, 2004 or 2006. A winning Democratic coalition has changed (thanks to the growth of the Northwest and the Little Rock suburbs). The Democratic numbers in the 4th (in particular), are way too high.

Also, your Romney/Obama numbers do not match DKE's:
      AR-01: 61-36.3 Romney
      AR-02: 54.7-42.9 Romney
      AR-03: 65.5-31.6 Romney
      AR-04: 61.8-35.9 Romney

Tim Griffin is not running statewide in 2014. He's running for reelection. He's an extremely divisive figure, and someone like Bill Halter might be able to make it close.

On the 4th - Mike Ross (if he runs again) or Chris Thomasen could win the 4th if Cotton moves on to higher office.

•  I didn't weight by year (1+ / 0-)
        jncca

Since I couldn't think of any metric to do so that wasn't totally subjective.  The races I used were:
        2006 Governor, Lt Governor, Secretary of State, Treasurer, and Attorney General (5 total)
        2010 Senate, Governor, Lt Governor, Secretary of State, Land Commissioner (5 total)

Running just the 2010 numbers doesn't make it that much different.
        AR is 49.9% D
        1st is 54.1% (D+4)
        2nd is 55.9% (D+6)
        3rd is 39.1% (R+11)
        4th is 50.5% (D+1)

So the 1st and 4th only get 1% more Republican while the 2nd is 2% more Dem.  I could perhaps try including partisan registration for the given year if the state has it, but I really tried to just limit it to statewide races for an apples to apples comparison.

However, just looking at the 2006 numbers:
        AR is 60.4% D
        1st is 66.6% (D+6)
        2nd is 62.2% (D+2)
        3rd is 48.6% (R+12)
        4th is 63% (D+3)
        So between 2006 and 2010 the 1st and 4th trended 2% R, the 3rd trended 1% D, and the 2nd trended 4% D.

Also the Obama/Romney numbers are two-party only while the ones you cited are total share.  I copied and pasted DKE's numbers yesterday, so they should be the exact same.  Anyway, here's my spreadsheet if you want to play around with the data.  In addition to the races I used in the average, it has 2004-2012 president and 2012 house on there.

by sawolf on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 02:04:19 PM PST

•  Oh, okay. Makes sense. (0+ / 0-)

I guess what I would have done is forgotten about Beebe, since he skews all the numbers up. I'd suggest making a note in your diary that the numbers are skewed by him; Shane Broadway or LJ Bryant's performance in 2010 is much closer to what a "normal" Democrat will receive in the state (with Mark Pryor having a good chance to get slightly higher)

•  Removing Beebe doesn't matter that much though (0+ / 0-)

since he's only 20% of the average.  That's why I tried to get as many races as possible.  Even looking at just Broadway and Bryan (and O'Brien, with or without him it's the same) it's quite similar to the 10-race average, with the districts being:
            D+4
            D+7
            R+12
            D+1

I suppose if I really wanted to get technical I could try running a regression by county for all 10 races compared to the average, but it would probably just show that even outside of Beebe, different Democrats do better in different places.  I think pretty much any way you organize the data, all three districts are more Dem than statewide.

by sawolf on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 02:30:39 PM PST

•  What are the actual hard percentage points (0+ / 0-)

for Broadway-Darr? Didn't he like narrowly lose the 4th and narrowly win the 1st?

•  Without county splits (0+ / 0-)

and giving all the split ones between the 3rd and 4th to the 3rd, Broadway got 52.6% in the 1st which was the best of the three races, and 48.9% in the 4th which was the worst of the three races.

by sawolf on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 03:38:20 PM PST

•  Ok, yeah, that seems right. (1+ / 0-)
                  sawolf

Broadway's numbers are accurate representations of Democratic strength in the 1st and 4th. Can't remember about his overall AVG in the 2nd, but it was overstated by his home base in Saline County.

•  Ideally I'd be able to construct some sort of (1+ / 0-)
                    James Allen

pure average that accounted for everyone's home base strength and even time decay/trends, but since I can't do that my approach has just been to get as many races as possible.  Otherwise I'd love to be able to include house races and state legislative races (where applicable), but it just doesn't make sense to do so.  That's been the main reason I've been calculating these averages since in addition to states like Arkansas that have no data, DRA has several states where the average includes house races.

Alabama is probably where the average will be most informative since it had a ridiculous 41 D vs R races since 2006 thanks to having multiple downballot executive offices and partisan court races.

If you could tell me off the top of your head, what are the "base" areas for Beebe, Hutchinson, Halter, Holt, Daniels, Lagrone, Shoffner, Morris, McDaniel, DeLay, Lincoln, Boozman, Keet, Broadway, Darr, O'Brien, Martin, Bryant, and Thurston?

by sawolf on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 04:21:48 PM PST

•  Base areas (4+ / 0-)
                      sawolf, KingofSpades, jncca, CF of Aus

McDaniel - McDaniel's base area is the Jonesboro-Paragould-Pocahantas-Clay County area. He likely saved several Democrats in the state legislature from defeat in 2010 and needs to run strong here in 2014.

Beebe - All over the state? Everywhere that's part of the old rural Blue Dog Democratic coalition + Delta + Little Rock.

Halter - His base is moot now since he hasn't been on the ballot since 2006. But it would be southwest Arkansas and the urban areas.

Darr - Northwest Arkansas.

Martin - Northwest Arkansas.

Thurston - Northwest Arkansas.

Broadway - Last named Democrat from suburban Little Rock (Saline County, Arkansas!).

Pat O'Brien - Pulaski County

Boozman - Northwest Arkansas

Lincoln - Delta

Bryant - Delta, I guess?

•  Just read IllinoyedR's fantastic Diaries (9+ / 0-)

And it really infuriates me how abrasively stupid some of the comments were.  It reminds me of the stupidity I see over at Red State when I head over there to have a good laugh.

I was excited when SSP merged into DKE, but now I kind of want to get away from the group of blindly partisan idiots on the front page and wish we had a separate site again.

It reminded me of that early DKE post that was cross posted on the front page when Ricardo Sanchez started his Senate bid in Texas.  There were so many commenters screaming bloody murder because they associated him with Abu Ghraib that the post's comments section turned into a massive shit storm.  Maybe I'm a bit nostalgic, but I don't remember ANYTHING like that happening over at SSP.

Swingnut since 2009, 21, Male, Democrat, CA-49 (home) CA-12 (college)

by Daman09 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 12:48:22 PM PST

•  Wasn't there truth to that? (2+ / 0-)
      James Allen, MichaelNY

That he ordered torture at Abu Ghraib?  I initially thought all of those orders came from Rumsfeld and he and other officers involved were "just following orders."

by KingofSpades on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 01:26:48 PM PST

•  I think the problem was whichever well (3+ / 0-)
      BeloitDem, Taget, MichaelNY

meaning person put it in the community spotlight... That was always going to ensure a shitstorm.

I always find IllinoyedR's diaries entertaining but there is always something in there that will trigger front pager anger. He can't resist having a little dig.

But yes more than a little tiresome that they cant behave.

by CF of Aus on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 02:30:18 PM PST

•  "Little dig" (3+ / 0-)
        MichaelNY, wwmiv, Audrid

I appreciate that you like my diaries. As for an occasional "little dig," I can honestly say that that's usually the product of my failing to catch one of the snarky or stream of consciousness-type comments that may be considered funny or insightful on RRH but that understandably aren't appreciated here. For example, I totally forgot to take out the part about how I met Tierney and that he rubbed me the wrong way and facepalmed when a front pager noticed that before I did. Another example of that was describing Bobby Rush as a "former Black Panther" a while back. I groaned when Sao (I think) noticed that before I did.

Home: North Shore of Illinois, College: Main Line of Pennsylvania (PA-07)

by IllinoyedR on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 11:09:09 PM PST

•  I think some people tend to overprotecting the Rs (3+ / 0-)
      skipos, sawolf, James Allen

I think some people tend to overprotect the Republicans here. I'm also a former SSPer but I think the site improved (since my point) becoming the current DKE.

A Republican know what he is doing writing here. This is a full Democratic site, and he must know that somethings can be polemic in a site like this.

This is why Im not registered in RedRacingHorses. I know, my point would be polemic there, because I have views far to the left of the spirit of Red Racing Horses.

I reject not to have Republicans here, but I think it is not necessary, it is not a need, and they must not be overprotected like I would not be overprotected in Red Racing Horses.

I have so kind nature but I always tell not the things that the people want to read, but I tell them with the best spirit. I'm ready to receive not the kindest words when I tell things that goes not with the majority. And that being to the left of the majority here.

Even in SSP I received some not very kind word from some hidden or hidden not Republicans that were in SSP then, when I writed my maps finding the limits of the Gerrymandering.

I think this is part of the game. If I want to go to write to Red Racing Horses explaining my points, I will be ready to receive some not as kind word. Do you think all the Republicans would be kind with a 18D-0R map for Illinois? I also know the answer.

IllinoyedR can be happy of having some people defending him, but I think this is enough. He can not be like our little kid.

•  Don't get me wrong (1+ / 0-)

I'm not in favor of over protecting republicans, they should know they are in hostile territory and walk on eggshells.  My complaints about the comments come purely from a "TIERNAHY IZ TEH MOAST PROAGRESIAVE MEMBOAR OF DE CAUCUS, HOW DAREZ  U SAY MIULDY PAWZITIVE TINGS BOAWT A RETHUG!!!1!1!1" view point.

Swingnut since 2009, 21, Male, Democrat, CA-49 (home) CA-12 (college)

by Daman09 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 06:02:51 AM PST

•  I think your criticism is unnecessary (0+ / 0-)

sure its troublesome sometimes, but its not that bad.  To take your example, I was among those arguing against people who were complaining about general Sanchez, and I thought we dealt with it.

I find IllinoyedR as tiresome as the people you find tiresome, FWIW.  I do like some of the other Republicans who are here, like Bart, KyleinWA, and aggou, but sometimes I feel like IllinoyedR is here more to provoke than interact.

by James Allen on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 06:25:41 AM PST

•  Wayyyyyy Off Base (2+ / 0-)
            James Allen, MichaelNY

I count him as a friend, and must say that you are extremely off base with respect to him.

He may sometimes come across that way, but he really does not at all mean to be. His analysis is mostly clear eyed and he really is on the more moderate side of the GOP.

As for his recent diary, Daman's criticism of some of the commenters is pretty accurate.

23 Burkean Post Modern Gay Democrat; NM-2 (Raised), TX-20 (B.A. & M.A. in Political Science), TX-17 (Home); 08/12 PVIs

by wwmiv on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 08:20:09 AM PST

•  I haven't read the last 2, I was (1+ / 0-)

commenting more about non-DKE kossacks in general.  But putting the one diary in the community spotlight (which I keep minimized as I've never felt that it should be so prominent) was probably a bad move, not in that it wasn't worthy, but for the same reason Republican DKEers should probably refrain from crossing over to the main site or commenting in the morning digest: they'll face treatment infinitely harsher outside a DKE-only environment than inside it.

I accept your take on IllinoyedR as probably more correct than mine.

by James Allen on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 08:37:25 AM PST

•  I understand this type of comments (1+ / 0-)
          James Allen

Always the people have not enough time for doing elaborate arguments. And I think it is logical some people get annoyed, and even angry reading him. The data of the diaries of IllinoiyedR are good, but his analisis is pretty partisan (just as is my analisis, I'm also partisan, I see not it bad).

I think it is not bad to let the people express this annoyiment. They do, also you do, I think it is not bad. While it goes not too far, I think is not bad.

Still I changed not my mind about to write in Red Racing Horses. I think they will be happier without me writing my partisan points.

•  This have gotten better at dkos. (2+ / 0-)
      KingofSpades, MichaelNY

Remember Hillary/Obama.  Things REALLY got out of hand.    Some of the pro-Hillary sites were even more batty. That was when you really wanted to crawl away and hide in the nice comfy confines of SSP.

So on the whole judging Dailykos as a whole it has calmed down.  And on the whole I think our "culture" over at SSP has transfered over well to Dailykos Elections.

I enjoyed IllinoyedR's post too.  And I think on the whole he was well received.   There were a few naysayers.  But in a community as large as this that is inevitable.  Just have to embrace the positive and politely put aside the negative.

by Taget on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 07:28:12 PM PST

•  I came in a year after that primary ended. (0+ / 0-)

So I didn't see those crazy days.

by KingofSpades on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 08:45:50 PM PST

•  FreedomWorks (2+ / 0-)
    KingofSpades, Taget

Read this piece from Talking Points Memo on the FreedomWorks coup attempt, folks.

Elizabeth Warren on the Senate Banking Committee is a BFD!

by DownstateDemocrat on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 01:23:48 PM PST

•  scary thinking if section 5 of the VRA is struck (3+ / 0-)
    sawolf, Taget, MichaelNY

down.  Since yesterday I've been drawing maps of a few states to see what could happen.  In Mississippi it seemed like the only good alternative for Republicans would be packing the black majority district even more, if they wanted to, because they would have a hard time getting rid of it safely.

In Arizona, Alabama, and Georgia, though, it could have serious consequences.

Starting with Arizona, if the commission did not need to abide by the VRA, they could have drawn a fairly clean compact map like so:

Photobucket

District 1 (blue) 46.9% Obama (08), 47.2% Dem average, 55.8% white VAP
    District 2 (green) 56.8% Obama, 56.6% Dem average, 56.8% white VAP
    District 3 (purple) 43.7% Obama, 42.3% Dem average, 60.2% white VAP
    District 4 (red) 36.3% Obama, 33.9% Dem average, 72% white VAP
    District 5 (yellow) 40% Obama, 38.3% Dem average, 70.7% white VAP
    District 6 (teal) 43.7% Obama, 42.2% Dem average, 72.8% white VAP
    District 7 (gray) 39.2% Obama, 36.7% Dem average, 76.4% white VAP
    District 8 (slate blue) 44% Obama, 41.5% Dem average, 69.9% white VAP
    District 9 (cyan) 62.2% Obama, 62.8% Dem average, 52.9% Hispanic VAP

Likely loss of Democratic seats: 3 (3rd, 9th, and probably the 1st).  Potential loss of minority Democrats: maybe one, as a compact Tucson district would throw Barber and Grijalva together in a district that's only about a third Hispanic.

I'll post the other two when I get a second.

by James Allen on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 01:49:33 PM PST

•  Luckily for Arizona, the commission has to (5+ / 0-)

take competitiveness into account so we wouldn't see something like this.  For Georgia though, Bishop and Barrow would be gone immediately and David Scott might also see his district chopped up if they got really bold.

by sawolf on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 02:09:44 PM PST

•  Then they run afoul Section 2 (3+ / 0-)
        sawolf, James Allen, MichaelNY

which they have upheld in the recent past.

by KingofSpades on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 02:25:40 PM PST

•  well I wouldn't want to gamble on it (2+ / 0-)
        sawolf, MichaelNY

District 9: Obama 26.1%, Dem average 32.7%
        District 10: Obama 38.9%, Dem average 41.8%
        District 11: Obama 41.8%, Dem average 41.3%
        District 12: Obama 59.7%, Dem average 59.6%, 49.1% black VAP
        District 13: Obama 87.5%, Dem average 83.3%, 73.3% black VAP
        District 14: Obama 36.9%, Dem average 34.5%

Basically the strategy is pick up some pockets of Democrats and stretch the distrct as far north as it'll go, then pack up the concentrations of black Democrats into one crescent-shaped district in the south and two Atlanta area districts.  Works okay.  Bishop and Barrow reside on opposite ends of the 12th, but I don't see an option for Barrow here.  He's too conservative for this 12th, and the 1st and 10th are his only other options, and they aren't good either.

by James Allen on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 02:29:48 PM PST

•  It's amazing how you can easily draw (2+ / 0-)
          James Allen, MichaelNY

either just two safe D districts in the Atlanta area with everything else uncompetitive, or 5 safe D districts with everything else uncompetitive.

by sawolf on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 02:36:11 PM PST

•  even the districts that look like they should (0+ / 0-)

be competitive have virtually no swing voters or are more than a decade away from being truly competitive with trends.

by James Allen on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 02:46:59 PM PST

•  for Alabama I assume they'll lose a district (0+ / 0-)

so I'm doing 6 district maps.

Photobucket

This map leaves the black majority district but packs it further, with arms into all three of the urban black populations in Montgomery, Birmingham, and Mobile.  This leaves that district at 67% black VAP, 75% Obama.

No other district has an Obama number higher than 33.6% (the 2nd) or a Dem average above 43.1% (the 5th).  It has the added advantage of splitting up the white Democrats in the north.

This map does not retain a black majority district:
      Photobucket

District 1: 38% Obama, 40.7% Dem average, 25.7% black VAP
      District 2: 42.8% Obama, 45.2% Dem average, 32.2% black VAP
      District 3: 37.6% Obama, 40.5% Dem average, 27.3% black VAP
      District 4: 42.3% Obama, 40.5% Dem average, 28.1% black VAP
      District 5: 35.3% Obama, 46.5% Dem average, 13.8% black VAP
      District 6: 36.6% Obama, 48.4% Dem average, 21.4% black VAP

This is the best I could do without really gerrymandering the state, but I wanted it relatively clean.  I'm very skeptical that Republicans would consider a map like this, but then again I'm also skeptical of us getting many white votes in the near future, so I don't think it'd necessarily have dummymander potential.  I think a packing map would be more likely, though, because it's just really hard to draw a clean 6-0 map.

by James Allen on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 02:44:27 PM PST

•  AL2 (0+ / 0-)

Bobby Bright could win the green district, maybe even with room to spare.

SSP poster. 43, new CA-6, -0.25/-3.90

by sacman701 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 06:29:51 PM PST

•  Yeah, exactly (0+ / 0-)

It's bordering on Lean D.

•  ... (0+ / 0-)

No is isn't. I don't even think Bright could stage a comeback here at this point.

by wwmiv on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 10:37:23 AM PST

•  What's your rationale? (3+ / 0-)
              James Allen, KingofSpades, HoosierD42

Bright performed 16 points better than Generic D in 2010 in a district that Obama got 36% in. Mike Rogers and I think Martha Roby have both been moved out of the 2nd in this map (I have to get a closer look at Montgomery to be sure).

In addition, this map removed Autauga, most of Ellmore, Covington and Geneva, all counties that Bright has struggled in in the past. Meanwhile, the map adds Russell and Macon, both counties that Democrats do good in. There are some tricky counties for Democrats as you go north. However, if Bright can get the votes out of the "old 2nd," he won't have to compensate in the 3rd.

Now, whether he runs would be a different question.

•  I imagine they could draw a 6-0 map (0+ / 0-)

if that's a clean version.  I don't know how often candidates like Bobby Bright beat incumbents these days (or try to).  Which one is District 6?

by Xenocrypt on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 07:42:38 PM PST

•  But then they violate Section 2. (3+ / 0-)
          MichaelNY, Xenocrypt, James Allen

Retrogression and yes, you can and should draw a black majority district.

by KingofSpades on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 08:44:57 PM PST

•  I suppose I meant (1+ / 0-)
            James Allen

that James Allen's second map suggests to me that a popular argument might not hold up.

Namely, the argument that, even if the VRA were repealed entirely, then Southern Republican legislatures in Mississippi and Alabama would still have to draw black-majority districts to avoid a "dummymander".

I'll admit I don't know the details of Section 5 vs. Section 2, and I certainly don't know anything specific about Alabama politics.  But I suspect that James' second map is a lower limit on Republican gerrymandering potential absent the VRA, not an upper limit.

by Xenocrypt on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 09:53:41 AM PST

•  yeah, but then adding in things like (0+ / 0-)

what the incumbents want, and it would be difficult to make a map that could really leave African Americans without the power to upset their plans.

by James Allen on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 12:16:57 PM PST

•  Obama now at 51.06%! (17+ / 0-)

A huge new vote dump from NYC finally puts Obama over the 51 percent mark without rounding off.  https://twitter.com/...

The last president to win over 51.0% twice was Ike.  Even Reagan "only" got 50.75% in 1980 (though of course that comparison is not really fair, since Reagan would certainly have won some of the Anderson voters if it had been a two-way race).

•  Mike Capuano is pissed..... (4+ / 0-)
    SaoMagnifico, Taget, LordMike, MichaelNY

Here is a quote from him in the Boston Herald:

"It seems that the big names of our party are trying to choose our nominee for us. When I became mayor of Somerville, the establishment wasn’t with me,” Capuano said in a statement. “When I became a member of Congress, the establishment wasn’t with me. If I make this run, it will be the same way — from the streets up, not from the elite down.”

It sure sounds like he is going to get into the race even with the establishment backing Markey. If Capuano gets in, it will be a bloody race.

Here's the article: http://bostonherald.com/...

•  Found some old junk email from Maria Cantwell. (5+ / 0-)

Thank goodness despite what she wrote I wasn't a real player customer who gave them a single red cent.  What an awful product that tried to take over everything just to play some stupid video you wished was encoded in something... ANYTHING... else.  Wonder if anyone even still uses it?  I hope not.

I do remember Republicans made a big deal about how much Maria Cantwell's networth went down after Real's stock collapsed after the dot.com bubble busted after Bush took office.

Anyway found this looking back at old emails still lying around my hotmail account.

Dear RealPlayer Customer,

We wanted to inform you of a top-quality software productavailable today in our RealStore.

AtGuard, which has been rated 4-stars by PC Computing, is an application that boosts your computer's performance as well as providing privacy and protection on-line with aPC-level firewall

You can download this program at RealNetworks' RealStore, risk-free, for only $14.95.

......

Thank you for continuing to use RealNetworks products.

Sincerely,
    Maria Cantwell,
    Senior Vice President RealNetworks, Inc.
    Seattle, WA USA

Anyone have anything similar from congresscritters hawking junk products.  Well besides Fred Thompson.  That's just too easy. :)

by Taget on Sat Dec 29, 2012 at 05:27:47 PM PST

•  WATN? Jason Altmire (2+ / 0-)
    MichaelNY, LordMike

Now, Altmire is still in Congress for 4 days, so this is more like a What Will They Be Doing, but Altmire seems to be taking the Evan Bayh route, I just heard him on the Melissa Harris-Perry show in MSNBC, and he was crowing about how the Democrats are purging the moderates, and even more ludicrously, that Republicans have more diversity of opinion! This is exactly what Republicans want when they draw redistricting maps that pit Democrats against each other.

Also, MHP herself seemed to be under the impression that Altmire was leaving Congress of his own free will, which is not very well-informed of her.

by HoosierD42 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 01:47:56 AM PST

•  IN-09: Fun with spreadsheets (2+ / 0-)
    MichaelNY, drhoosierdem

While I don't have the official numbers in IN-09, my unofficial totals are: Romney 57.14, Obama 40.70, Johnson 2.15, comparing to the IN-09 House race at Young 55.45, Yoder 44.55.

However, here comes the fun: the old 9th district before redistricting would have been: Romney 54.52, Obama 43.30, Johnson 2.19. A straight linear presidential number would have brought the congressional race to Young 52.85, Yoder 47.15.

But that does not tell the whole story. Young met or exceeded the Romney number in the new Indy suburban counties of Johnson and Morgan. He also benefited from the new Monroe County precincts, which are to the west of Bloomington, where Romney won 6865-5752. When you take into account Yoder improvements over Obama in other counties, particularly Harrison +10, Crawford +11, Scott +14, Orange +9, Washington +11, and Jackson +7, and start to move those numbers to the old counties in the 9th district, I get a number of Young defeats Yoder 50.6-49.4, which would be a win if a Libertarian had filed.

However, we are in the new 9th district, which is not as favorable. But looking at the numbers by county, it is clear that Shelli Yoder could make this a race with more money. She was very limited in money as to the ads she could run. She chose the Louisville market over Indy. In the Indy market three counties, she had virtually no gain from the Obama numbers. In the Louisville nine counties, her gain was from 4 to 14 points.

Think about this though-National Democrats and their SuperPACs spent so much in IN-08 to get a worse result than what a grassroots candidate with very little money got.

by SouthernINDem on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 03:18:13 AM PST

•  Nesting (1+ / 0-)

I've heard, every once and awhile, someone mention the concept of nesting in redistricting, usually in a negative way. The idea is that it makes it difficult for map makers to stay true to the Voting Rights Act.

I've actually always been fond of the idea, nonetheless.

I've also always been fond of many types of electoral reform, one of which is to require that (and I know this won't work for most states, given size issues) the size of the State Senate be double (or triple, maybe even quadruple) the number of Congressional seats (nested, ofcourse) and the House double (or triple) the number of State Senate seats (nested in those, ofcourse).

by wwmiv on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 05:07:45 AM PST

•  we have 6 senate seats for each (1+ / 0-)

congressional district, 12 state house seats for each CD, and I wouldn't want any less.

by James Allen on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 05:26:09 AM PST

•  The solution to that VRA problem (1+ / 0-)
      BeloitDem

is just to have some form of mixed member proportional representation.  For the districts themselves, you could have a senate district "nested" within one of the congressional districts, but have several members per district elected by STV.

I don't see why we couldn't do this at the state level or even the national level if Democrats won the trifecta, at least for the House.

by sawolf on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 09:38:40 AM PST

•  Mixed Member Prop. Rep. (0+ / 0-)

How is that a solution for the VRA?

You'd need to attach a requirement that some of the electeds be minority, but that'd be unconstitutional...

by wwmiv on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 09:44:27 AM PST

•  Technically the VRA doesn't require (4+ / 0-)
          DCal, James Allen, KingofSpades, BeloitDem

Minority members, just that minority voting blocs can't be deprived of the ability to elect their candidate of choice. If we had PR I'd be fine with requiring certain numbers of minority candidates on the list, but with STV in a place like Alabama you're pretty much guaranteed two black office holders if the state had 6-7 seats.

Although I don't know if that would be acceptable for the VRA on a legal basis. It at least works for guaranteeing minority representation though.

by sawolf on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 09:58:54 AM PST

•  Republicans still drew a pretty nasty (2+ / 0-)
      James Allen, itskevin

Assembly gerrymander here with nesting.

•  Nesting was one of the criteria in California, (2+ / 0-)
      James Allen, KingofSpades

but it was lower down on the list, so it was not viewed as a requirement.

A few of the 40 State Senate districts, mostly in rural Northern California, were made up of 2 perfectly nested Assembly Districts.

The remaining State Senate districts were based roughly on 2 Assembly Districts, but the boundaries were slightly different.  This flexibility was sometimes needed for VRA purposes as you noted, but also to split fewer cities and counties.

•  Now that Dems have a supermajority (2+ / 0-)
        James Allen, MichaelNY

could they vote to expand the legislature so the Senate districts are no longer bigger than Congressional districts?

by KingofSpades on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 04:03:59 PM PST

•  unlikely IMHO (1+ / 0-)

because it would probably mean less power for individual legislators.

by James Allen on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 05:39:57 PM PST

•  Nesting (2+ / 0-)
      James Allen, MichaelNY

is an awful idea. Especially across federal and state jurisdictions.

by HoosierD42 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 04:15:50 PM PST

•  Care to explain further? (0+ / 0-)

20, CA-18 (home), CA-13 (school)
        politicohen.com
        UC Berkeley; I think I'm in the conservative half of this city. -.5.38, -3.23

by jncca on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 04:17:30 PM PST

•  Well, I believe in at least a little federalism (2+ / 0-)
          MichaelNY, James Allen

And a proposal like that would just throw it out the window, with the state legislative districts being completely contingent on the federal ones. And second, it constrains district drawing far more than need be just for the sake of a little convenience, which is never a good rationale in and of itself.

by HoosierD42 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 10:07:35 PM PST

•  Marriage equality in IL (8+ / 0-)

From the Chicago Sun's Lynn Sweet, Obama urging state lawmakers to legalize gay marriage in Illinois.

Plans to vote on in lame duck session in January. Nice to see the President tending to the hand that feeds him.

21, Male, LA-02, LA-06 (former), TX-08 (home), SSP: sschmi4

by Stephen Schmitz on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 11:48:55 AM PST

•  Good news. Sen. Mark Kirk to return to Senate (5+ / 0-)

next Thrusday.

He will walk up the Senate steps and will be greeted by VP Biden.

link.

•  Reid-McConnell talks hit "major setback" (1+ / 0-)
    DCCyclone

Elizabeth Warren on the Senate Banking Committee is a BFD!

by DownstateDemocrat on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 12:42:39 PM PST

•  Jim Dabakis (4+ / 0-)

The head of the Democratic Party in Utah is apparently gay and both a (former) Greek Orthodox and Mormon.

by wwmiv on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 02:22:06 PM PST

•  Just saw "Lincoln" (1+ / 0-)
    James Allen

It focuses on the internal drama that went on over an impending House vote on the 13th Amendment.  The only complaint I have is that Tommy Lee Jones as Rep. Thaddeus Stevens was distracting.

by KingofSpades on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 03:56:40 PM PST

•  Thinking that there is a good chance Sen Dan Coats (2+ / 0-)
    jncca, MichaelNY

retires in 2016, got me thinking of not only the several House members that are likely to run on the GOP side. I don't think all will run, but here is my list of Republicans that would run in their seats if open. Sadly, we are not likely to have much shot at any of these except maybe the 9th District. The GOP did a good job in redistricting. These are not in any particular order.

Rep. Marlin Stutzman (R-Howe), who I think is very likely to run-
    1. Sen. Jim Banks (R-Columbia City)
    2. Rep. David Ober (R-Albion)
    3. Rep. Ben Smaltz (R-Auburn)
    4. Ft. Wayne City Councilwoman Liz Brown
    5. Allen County Commissioner Therese Brown
    6. 2011 Ft. Wayne Mayoral candidate Paula Hughes
    7. Allen County Commissioner Nelson Peters (who is more moderate)
    8. State Treasurer Tim Berry (R-Ft. Wayne)

Rep. Todd Young (R-Bloomington), who is very ambitious-
    1. Outgoing Lt. Gov. Becky Skillman (R-Bedford)
    2. Sen. Brent Steele (R-Bedford)
    3. Rep. Ed Clere (R-New Albany)
    4. Sen. Brent Waltz (R-Greenwood)
    5. Sen. Ron Grooms (R-Jeffersonville)
    6. Rep. Jim Lucas (R-Seymour)
    7. Former U.S. Rep. Mike Sodrel (R-New Albany)
    8. Rep. Eric Koch (R-Bedford)
    9. Rep. John Price (R-Greenwood)

Rep. Luke Messer (R-Shelbyville)
    1. Rep. Cindy Ziemke (R-Batesville)
    2. Rep. Milo Smth (R-Columbus)
    3. Former candidate Travis Hankins
    4. Rep. Sean Eberhart (R-Shelbyville)
    5. Sen. Jean Leising (R-Batesville)
    6. Sen. Mike Crider (R-Greenfield)
    7. Henry County Councilman Nate LaMar (R-New Castle)

Rep. Todd Rokita (R-Indianapolis)
    1. Secretary of State Connie Lawson (R-Danville)
    2. Rep. Randy Truitt (R-West Lafayette)
    3. Sen. Brandt Hershman (R-Wheatfield)
    4. Rep. Steve Braun (R-Zionsville)
    5. Rep. Sharon Naegele (R-Attica)
    6. Sen. Phil Boots (R-Crawfordsville)
    7. Former Rep. Matt Whetstone (R-Danville)

Rep.-Elect Susan Brooks (R-Indianapolis)
    1. Sen. Scott Schneider (R-Indianapolis)
    2. Sen. Mike Delph (R-Westfield)
    3. Rep. Kathy Richardson (R-Noblesville)
    4. Rep. Todd Huston (R-Fishers)
    5. County-Councilman Mike McQuillen (R-Indianapolis)
    6. Mayor Jim Brainerd (R-Carmel)

by SouthernINDem on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 06:41:39 PM PST

•  If Coats retires (1+ / 0-)

I think we can get Baron Hill to run.

by HoosierD42 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 10:13:09 PM PST

•  (Sadly), it could be Evan Bayh again (1+ / 0-)

I got a Christmas card from him this year.

by SouthernINDem on Sun Dec 30, 2012 at 11:08:12 PM PST