View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 1/16 (364 comments)

•  NRCC names their targets (6+ / 0-)

Source

They see Ron Barber, Ann Kirkpatrick, John Barrow, Jim Matheson, Mike McIntyre, Collin Peterson, and Nick Rahall as their best targets.  Interestingly, not many freshmen on that list.  In fact, since Barber and Kirkpatrick have served in Congress before last week, none of them are true freshmen.  They left members like Patrick Murphy, Joe Garcia, Sean Patrick Maloney, and all the new California freshmen off the list, but are more optimistic about finally dislodging (or provoking a retirement) of Rahall, Peterson, and McIntyre.

•  I could see Peterson retiring. (5+ / 0-)

Fortunately, local Democrats (the F in DFL in particular) can still win the district so it woulnd't be an automatic pickup.

22, Progressive Democrat, MN-08 (home), MN-05 (college)

by JonathanMN on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 11:08:27 AM PST

•  Peterson is a bit of a surprise (6+ / 0-)

He has barely had much credible R opposition.

"Unfortunately when the Republican party needs to be a big tent party it seems to me we are doing everything we can to become a pup tent party. " — Virginia Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling (R)

by lordpet8 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 11:24:23 AM PST

•  I think this whole press release (10+ / 0-)

is an attempt to push retirements. Hence no freshmen.

Registered in NY-02, College CT-01, Spent most of the rest of my life on the border of NY-08 and NY-15

by R30A on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 11:45:32 AM PST

•  I hope none take the bait. (8+ / 0-)

Petersen is teflon.

I have found a nearby soda fountain that has Fruitopia! My life is complete.

by KingofSpades on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 12:07:26 PM PST

•  Smart comment. (3+ / 0-)
        itskevin, wwmiv, MichaelNY

nm

44, male, Indian-American, married and proud father of a girl and 2 boys, Democrat, VA-10

by DCCyclone on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 01:32:00 PM PST

•  I am not sure. (3+ / 0-)
        sawolf, skibum59, R30A

Barber and Kirkpatrick are kind of quasi freshmen that will not retire after this term. McIntyre and Matheson had the narrowest escape this round. If they could not be knocked over this time with strong challengers, why won't they run and expect to win again, barring a midsize national wave against Ds. Peterson is entrenched. Barrow is kind of. The real possibility of retirement or running for higher office is Mr. Rahall.

BTW, my take on the failure of Rs to knock off Barrow and McIntyre, is that they nominated candidates from the wrong places, namely the solidly Republican territories newly added to the districts. People there being not familiar with the blue dog representatives, already tended to vote by their party inclination. i.e. the margin Rs can get from there is pretty much the same no matter who the R candidate is. Also the R office holders there being elected and reelected so easily for so long that they overestimated their own appeals. I will repeat myself, the margins from these kinda grounds tend to be about the same no matter who the R nominees are. The existing ticket splitting areas are where the elections were decided, and people there knew and kinda liked their blue dog reps. The Rs actually might have a chance were the locally connected office holders from the ticket splitting area who could siphon off enough votes there,  adding to the large margin from the new turf, to win. Had they had someone from the Wilmington NC suburb, McIntyre is probably a goner. Well, not so easy the next round, though.

•  I'm still worried about (2+ / 0-)
          MichaelNY, R30A

Matheson (yes I know he's one hell of a campaigner) and McIntyre.

I'm worried manly because what happened to Chandler. He had a close call in 2010 and most of us thought he'd be fine as he weathered out the worst storm. But he still had a R leaning district to defend this cycle and went down.

by lordpet8 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 06:14:21 PM PST

•  I think part of Chandler's defeat (4+ / 0-)

was self-inflicted.  In redistricting they added some more coal heavy areas to the district of a guy who voted for cap and trade, that and he just ran a very lackluster campaign.  Chandler got the margins he needed in the coal-free parts of the district for the most part.  I'm eventually going to get around to taking a more in depth look at his campaign when I have the time, but that's my hypothesis so far.

by sawolf on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 09:44:27 PM PST

•  This actually isn't the case (0+ / 0-)

I believe that illinoyedr is going to be out with a diary shortly on this race showing that Chandler would have lost even without the new coal parts.

23 Burkean Post Modern Gay Democrat; NM-2 (Raised), TX-20 (B.A. & M.A. in Political Science), TX-17 (Home); 08/12 PVIs

by wwmiv on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 11:21:31 PM PST

•  Quote "I think /part/ of Chandler's defeat" (0+ / 0-)

and "got the margins he needed... for the most part.  The deciding factor is that he ran a crappy campaign, but if you look at A) his past performances, B) how Conway and Lunsford performed, and C) how our statewide executive candidates performed, the hypothesis that is best supported is that Chandler underperformed significantly in the more coal heavy counties and his support of Cap and Trade cost him dearly.

Again, I haven't had the time to dig as deeply into the data as I'd like, especially at the precinct level, but I think that, all else equal, had he voted against Cap and Trade, or had he run a better campaign he'd be in the house.  To reiterate, that's my hypothesis. I'm not trying to be condescending, just more clear.  I think there's a good case to be made that either of those same two factors were deciding ones by themselves in Rick Boucher's 2010 defeat.

by sawolf on Wed Jan 16, 2013 at 11:46:52 PM PST

•  But... (1+ / 0-)
                  R30A

He didn't get the margins he needed. He lost the retained parts of the district, from what I understand (I'm too lazy to go check this for myself). That's by definition him not getting the "margins he needed".

by wwmiv on Thu Jan 17, 2013 at 12:12:14 AM PST

•  weird (7+ / 0-)

I can see McIntyre and Barrow, along with Barber if they can get McSally to run again. I suspect Rahall might actually do better without Obama at the top of the ticket, but it makes sense for them to make more of an effort than they did in 2012.

The others are shaky. Peterson absolutely owns that district like Kent Conrad owned neighboring ND. Kirkpatrick lost by just 6 in a much redder version of the district in 2010, and unless they have a superstar lined up to run against her, she should win again. Mormon turnout will probably be a lot lower in 2014 than it was for Romney.
      Likewise 2012 was probably their best shot to dislodge Matheson. They fell short despite the mother of all coattail effects.

I have Murphy as the second most vulnerable Dem after McIntyre, at least if West doesn't run again. I think Gallego might be vulnerable, in a Romney district where the Dem base is likely to have a big dropoff in a midterm. Maloney should be ok in a district Obama won by 4 that isn't especially prone to dropoff, and Garcia might be home free in a district Obama won by 7 that is rapidly turning blue.

SSP poster. 43, new CA-6, -0.25/-3.90

• Rescued (21)
  • Health Care (20)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • Republicans (18)
  • International (17)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site